Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KEMP LAND stamps.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2020 at 18:24
Oh gosh, this sounds like a threat!

I hope Rambo will come to my aid.

Kemp Land 2007 War Tax set.
Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 00:58
Originally posted by Panterra Panterra wrote:

Oh gosh, this sounds like a threat!

I hope Rambo will come to my aid.

If you people cannot play nicely without goading each other on I will delete these threads.

That is your last and final warning.
I began this forum as a place to discuss and share ALL cinderella stamps. It is my first forum and is not perfect BUT I will endeavour to make it the best available.

Any positive help appreciated!
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2020 at 12:38
Sorry Sir!

I wouldn't dream of really releasing Rambo on anyone!

Kemp Land 1999 Glacier-Hiking Championships with "Winner" overprint.
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2020 at 23:23
This year, 2020, is the fiftieth birthday of Mevu, a small Antarctic republic first established in 1970, and which has been a steady stamp-issuer since then.

So to celebrate this birthday in a philatelic way, Kemp Land issued an attractive set of four stamps on 12th March 2020:

Kemp Land 2020 50th anniversary of Mevu's Independence.

Kemp Land 2020 50th anniversary of Mevu's Independence, first day cover.

Kemp Land 2020 50th anniversary of Mevu's Independence, miniature sheet.

The Republic of Mevu was founded in 1970, when a pioneering group established the country on the Riiser-Larsen Peninsular in Antarctica. The country underwent various changes of government over the years. In 1972, it became a National State, which prompted an armed rebellion, and in 1973, the rebels took over and set up the Democratic People's Co-operative Republic of Mevu (or DPCR Mevu, as it was abbreviated on the stamps.) In 1990, it celebrated its 20th Birthday, a truly monumental occasion! Later, the country joined the Antarctic Confederation of City Republics (ACCR) and decreased issuing its own stamps. Its identity has been rather subsumed to the ACCR since then.  Mevu was a founding member of the International Council of Independent States (ICIS), the “United Nations” of the Fifth World, in 1984.

The currency is 100 tanos = 1 reis.

Stamps and postal stationery have been issued since 1970, and new issues continue today.  A diverse and interesting collection can be formed of this land. Although most of the 20th century issues are rather difficult to find these days.

Mevu 1990 registered cover to Sedang. Probably philatelic.

Waikoa Island became a Protectorate of Mevu in 1972, and Mevu administrators have guided that
island since that time.  Today, Mevu citizens make up the main tourist group visiting Waikoa Island.
Frozen fish and ice are imported from Mevu, whilst tropical fruit and vegetables are exported to Mevu.

– from the Mevu and Waikoa Island websites.

Mevu 2005 Icebergs, 50 tanos. One of a set of four.

Sound like your type of place to visit? While sweltering in a heatwave, any respite would be welcome, even the chilly Antarctic!

Norwegian philatelist Geir Sor-Reime dreamed up Mevu in 1970, and began producing stamps. Geir was a trainee student of archæology at the time, and one of the things archæologists are taught is how to make usable copies of gravestone inscriptions: done using pencil rubbings.  So not being a printer, Geir’s early stamps were all done as pencil rubbings, using various coloured pencils, and were of course imperf.  Today, these are very scarce, but covers exist, and there have even been forgeries, some offered on Ebay!  Photos can be seen on the Mevu website: www.angelfire.com/country/mevu  Later, Geir began using photocopiers to produce his stamps: as these machines offered black as the only print colour, he used different paper colours to print the stamps on. He has also experimented with hectograph-prints, which offer violet as the only available colour, and also rubber stamps.

One of Mevu's first issue from 1970, 2 reis salmon, a pencil-rubbing imperf (here affixed upside down, on a FDC.)

In 1972, Geir found that running his Cinderella land was consuming too much time, so he offered it to me (as I was then running Occussi-Ambeno, the only other Fifth World land around at the time, and had established diplomatic and cordial relations with Mevu.)  I accepted the offer, and began printing new Mevu stamps, mainly using letterpress (often called typography by philatelists): the process attributed to Johan Gutenberg.  Later, after he graduated, Geir resumed Mevu issues, while I have continued to print new stamps for the country as well.  Today, most Mevu stamps are laser-printed in full colour, and perforated: a far cry from the 1970 issues!

Here we are in 2020, which marks Mevu’s 50th birthday.  An event that certainly deserves some serious celebrating by Cinderella philately!  Mevu and its colony Waikoa Island have both produced an attractive set of four stamps to celebrate the half-century, and the same designs have been used for similar sets by their friends Occussi-Ambeno and Kemp Land.

Mevu 2020 50th Anniversary of Independence set. Each stamp also shows the Mevu flag.

These stamps feature photos of penguins and transport in Mevu; the photos were reportedly taken by the President of Mevu, Her Excellency, Mrs Liese Keller.  Designs of the Mevu set are:

17 tanosTwin Otter aircraft at Amundsen Harbour, and Mevu founder Lemmath Babi.
35 tanosPenguins Parade, and early Antarctic explorer Roald Amundsen (1872-1928).
50 tanosMail by tractor, and early Antarctic explorer Roald Amundsen (1872-1928).
1.70 reisEmperor Penguin, and Mevu founder Lemmath Babi.

Date of issue was 12th March 2020.  The stamps are reported to have been printed in full colour and perforated 12 gauge, by Chan Hui Shudian Printing SA, Minaue, Waikoa Island.

Geir himself has modelled for the founder of Mevu, Lemmath Babi.  According to the Mevu website, Lemmath is married to Mevu’s current President, Liese Keller.

Folks interested in acquiring Mevu stamps and covers are welcome to get these by trading some of your duplicates, or mint commemorative sets of your country.  Contact either of the Mevu embassies for these:

ICIS Regional Office,
P. O. Box 876,
Auckland,
New Zealand 1140.

WOPHAD Agency,
Haugliveien 10,
NO-4020 Stavanger,
Norway.

Mevu tourism poster, published by the Ministry of Commerce, Mevu.

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.

hehapaoroto View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote hehapaoroto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 00:32
I hadn't noticed the 45 degree line screen on the ICEBERG stamp, until I was enlarging the photos to save and print them out for myself.

Do you overlay that as a separate layer as part of the image file, or add it to the page artwork at a later stage to ensure it stays black when printed on the laser printer?

That's a realy nice effect either way, great work yet again, Colin  Thumbs Up
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 01:21
Originally posted by hehapaoroto hehapaoroto wrote:

I hadn't noticed the 45 degree line screen on the ICEBERG stamp, until I was enlarging the photos to save and print them out for myself.

Do you overlay that as a separate layer as part of the image file, or add it to the page artwork at a later stage to ensure it stays black when printed on the laser printer?

That's a realy nice effect either way, great work yet again, Colin  Thumbs Up

Hi Hehapaoroto, I'm actually Bruce, not Colin.

The screen is done automatically by the Photoshop program.

If you like the Mevu stamps, write to either of the embassies (along with some stamps to trade) and request a collection.  We have lots of stamps looking for warm and welcoming homes! Cry
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 16:28
I'm nonplussed to see that I somehow overlooked showing Kemp Land's interesting 2016 issue: the Chinese Cultural Revolution set:

Kemp Land 2016 Chinese Cultural Revolution set.

China has millions of philatelists (reputedly more than in any other country, certainly more than in Kemp Land!), and most of those collect anything with a "China theme", which is why many postal administrations today issue stamps for the Asian New Year, as they know they will sell thousands of sets and minisheets to China.  Whereas "regular" commemoratives, these days they are lucky if they even recover their printing cost.  So stamps celebrating a monumental event in China's history seemed far more relevant than a silly new year, according to Kemp Land's rulers.

Originally posted by Trademe website Trademe website wrote:

Kemp Land issued this set to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Chinese Cultural Revolution. Date of issue was 19th July 2016.

The four stamps feature photos of personalities associated with this historic time of change in China. Designs are:

45c - Mao Zedong and Lin Biao on rostrum;
Mao’s wife, Jiang Qing.

60c - Mao Zedong and Jiang Qing at Yenan;
Mao Zedong and Lin Biao on rostrum.

$1.35 - Celebrating crowds with flags and a giant photo of Chairman Mao.

$3 - Red Guards struggle against bourgeoisie; Chairman Mao (1893 – 1976).

=====================

The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution was a socio-political movement that took place in China from 1966 until 1971. Set into motion by Mao Zedong, Chairman of the Communist Party of China, its goal was to preserve true Communist ideology in the country by purging remnants of capitalist & traditional elements from Chinese society, and to re-impose Maoist thought as the ideology within the Party.

The Revolution was launched in May 1966, after Mao explained that bourgeois elements had infiltrated the government and society, aiming to restore capitalism. He insisted that these revisionists be removed through violent class struggle. China's youth responded to Mao's appeal by forming Red Guard groups around the country. The movement spread into the military, urban workers, and the Party leadership itself. It resulted in widespread factional struggles in all walks of life. Millions of people were criticised in the violent struggles that ensued across the country, and faced a wide range of actions including public humiliation, harassment, and seizure of property. A large segment of the population was forcibly displaced, such as urban youth to rural regions. Historical relics and artifacts were destroyed. Cultural and religious sites were ransacked, and philately was outlawed.

Mao declared the Cultural Revolution over in 1969, but its active phase lasted until the death of military leader Lin Biao in 1971.

Kemp Land 2016 Chinese Cultural Revolution, miniature sheet.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2020 at 00:24

Kemp Land 2020 Boy George comemmoration, in minisheet.

Kemp Land in 2015 had a revolution, where the despotic regime of Eric Gardo was overthrown in a gay uprising.

They established a new government and proclaimed the country THE GAY REPUBLIC OF KEMP LAND.

In 2020, they issued this attractive stamp, showing gay hero Boy George.

Originally posted by Wikipedia Wikipedia wrote:

George Alan O'Dowd (born 14 June 1961), known professionally as Boy George, is an English singer, songwriter, DJ and fashion designer. He is the lead singer of the pop band Culture Club. At the height of the band's fame, during the 1980s, they recorded global hit songs such as "Karma Chameleon", "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" and "Time (Clock of the Heart)". George is known for his soulful voice and his androgynous appearance. He was part of the English New Romantic movement which emerged in the late 1970s to the early 1980s.

His music is often classified as blue-eyed soul, which is influenced by rhythm and blues and reggae. He was lead singer of Jesus Loves You during the period 1989–1992. His 1990s and 2000s-era solo music has glam influences, such as David Bowie and Iggy Pop. More recently, he has released fewer music recordings, splitting his time between songwriting, DJing, writing books, designing clothes and photography. In 2015, Boy George received an Ivor Novello Award from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors for Outstanding Services to British Music.

In his 1995 autobiography Take It Like a Man, George stated that he was actually gay, not bisexual, and that he had secret relationships with punk rock singer Kirk Brandon and Culture Club drummer, Jon Moss. He stated many of the songs he wrote for Culture Club were about his relationship with Moss.

In 2006, in an episodic documentary directed by Simon George titled The Madness of Boy George, George declared on camera he was "militantly gay". In a 2008 documentary Living with Boy George, he talks about his first realisation he was gay, and when he first told his parents. He discloses that he understands why men fall in love with one another as well as with women.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 21:54

Kemp Land 2020 Boy George comemmoration, in minisheet.

Kemp Land in 2015 had a revolution, where the despotic regime of Eric Gardo was overthrown in a gay uprising.

They established a new government and proclaimed the country THE GAY REPUBLIC OF KEMP LAND.

In 2020, they issued this attractive stamp, showing gay hero Boy George.

Originally posted by Wikipedia Wikipedia wrote:

George Alan O'Dowd (born 14 June 1961), known professionally as Boy George, is an English singer, songwriter, DJ and fashion designer. He is the lead singer of the pop band Culture Club. At the height of the band's fame, during the 1980s, they recorded global hit songs such as "Karma Chameleon", "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" and "Time (Clock of the Heart)". George is known for his soulful voice and his androgynous appearance. He was part of the English New Romantic movement which emerged in the late 1970s to the early 1980s.

His music is often classified as blue-eyed soul, which is influenced by rhythm and blues and reggae. He was lead singer of Jesus Loves You during the period 1989–1992. His 1990s and 2000s-era solo music has glam influences, such as David Bowie and Iggy Pop. More recently, he has released fewer music recordings, splitting his time between songwriting, DJing, writing books, designing clothes and photography. In 2015, Boy George received an Ivor Novello Award from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors for Outstanding Services to British Music.

In his 1995 autobiography Take It Like a Man, George stated that he was actually gay, not bisexual, and that he had secret relationships with punk rock singer Kirk Brandon and Culture Club drummer, Jon Moss. He stated many of the songs he wrote for Culture Club were about his relationship with Moss.

In 2006, in an episodic documentary directed by Simon George titled The Madness of Boy George, George declared on camera he was "militantly gay". In a 2008 documentary Living with Boy George, he talks about his first realisation he was gay, and when he first told his parents. He discloses that he understands why men fall in love with one another as well as with women.

I've had to post this a second time, as the previous photo seems to have mysteriously vanished.
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2023 at 04:33
Colourful flowers featured
on new stamps!

To foster civic pride, Kemp Land has announced a beautiful stamp issue to feature pansies.  This is the first new stamp issue of the year 2023.

Kemp Land 2023 Pansies.

Originally posted by <a href=http://www.geocities.ws/kempland/ target=_blank rel=nofollow>Kemp Land Post Office</a> Kemp Land Post Office wrote:

The Kemp Land Post Office announces that a new set of stamps featuring beautiful pansies will be issued for regular mail use. Values are , 60¢, $1.35, and $3.

The stamps were designed by Inyotef D. Smauguar, and printed by the Occussi-Ambeno Government Printing Office in Baleksetung.  They are printed in full-colour on unwatermarked security paper and perf 12.  They have been printed in convenient small sheetlets containing two sets plus an extra pair of the five cent stamp, and have inscribed margins, including the first four lines of the happy pansy poem by Terry Hoffman.

Date of issue is 8th February 2023. A full set costs $5, while a complete sheet costs $10.10. The stamps will remain on sale indefinitely.

Collectors and others wishing to purchase stamps may contact

Kemp Land Information Service,
115-c Essex Street,
Epping, NSW 2121,
Australia.

The Kemp Land dollar is tied to the Australian.  Please add an allowance for return postage to your order.

PANSIES

by Terry Hoffman

Happiest flower in the garden
is the pansy, without doubt.
As it unfolds its petals,
it at times looks inside out.

Its varieties are endless,
all its colors bright and gay;
blue and gold and mauve and red,
it spreads along its merry way

As it reaches out to greet us,
with its happy smiling face,
it wishes us "Good Morning",
peeking out from ev'ry space.

See gladsome faces ev'ry where
In an infinite array;
orange, pink, yes, yellow, too,
I can't wait until this May.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>