Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stamps of Bruce Henderson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 22:03

Waikoa Island 2020 Letter-Writing Week FDC to UK,
with million-reis stamp added for aircraft special charter.

Now that the airlines have stopped running, senders often need to charter a plane to carry their letter.  This one demanded an extra million dollars, and the gullible sender paid up, so the silver and red ONE MILLION REIS stamp was affixed.

Note that the Maggie Mailbox stamps are the corrected spelling version, as you can see by the tête-bêche pair (since this variety does not occur on the sheets with the spelling error.)
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 01:46

Waikoa Island 2020 Marijuana tax. 2019 fiscal stamp overprinted.

Waikoa Island issued this stamp in 2020 to gather tax on legal marijuana sales. The Rs 7.25 (= US $7.25) is the tax on a ½ ounce bag of cannabis sold (the most common commercial unit on the island.) The stamp is the Rs 7.25 of the 2019 fiscal issue with an appropriate overprint.

Cannabis was legalised for recreational use in Colorado, USA, in 2012, and in Waikoa Island in 2014. This year, in New Zealand, we have a referendum to vote on whether marijuana should be legalised. I urge everyone to vote in favour of this.

Most of us know friends or relatives who have been persecuted in the past, and often fined or jailed for the “crime” of having a natural herb in their pocket. Meanwhile, another person may have tobacco or sweets in their pocket, yet despite the enormous health risk from use of both sugar and tobacco, no crime is imputed to them! Queen Victoria is reported to have been a regular user of marijuana for medical issues (or maybe she just liked it to relax), so it was never banned in her day.

An elderly friend in Dunedin got six months in jail for this herb a few years back. Yet that same man devoted many years to safeguarding Kiwis by working in our navy. Ingratitude? I’m sure you know similar bizarre stories.

Why should our society continue to act like a dictatorship, in telling everyone what they can and can’t do with their own lives? In the past, people who spent their time telling others not to enjoy themselves were called “wowsers”. I doubt we need such bad advisers any more (if we ever did!) I suggest we all act firmly to get rid of this foolish ban on use of natural herbs now. Let’s legalise it, and let the police chase real criminals, rather than fake ones.

Cannabis should be a health issue, not a crime. One in twenty Kiwis use cannabis medicinally and need safe, legal and affordable access to natural cannabis as well as refined products.

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 02:16

Upper Yafa 2000 Sultan's 50th Birthday, 250 baiza.

Upper Yafa issued this stamp in 2000 as one of a set of four to celebrate the 50th birthday of the Sultan.

This year is his 70th birthday, so ideas are now being discussed for what philatelic celebration will be done.

Stand by for further developments on this.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2020 at 19:14

Two tee or not two tee. That is the question.

If you think the Letter-Writing Week stamp is complicated, it has nothing on other Waikoan issues:

Northwest Beach, near Kakariki, Waikoa Island.

In 2019, Waikoa Island issued a set of 15 stamps, for fiscal use primarily.  Each is printed by typography in two colours on glossy white paper, and perf 12.

Waikoa Island 2019 postal-fiscal issue, 4.25 reis.

Waikoa Island 2019 postal-fiscal issue, 300 reis.

The controversial "yellow" fiscal stamps.
Note the lemon shade of the 300 reis stamp, and compare this with the scan of the same stamp shown above.

A major scandal has erupted on Waikoa Island, 
surrounding the recently-issued fiscal stamps,
with a suicide attempt.

There are two different shades of yellow used:
a rather orangey yellow on the 4¼ reis, and
a pale lemon yellow on the 300 reis.  It seems
almost impossible to scan the lemon stamp, as
the scanner just refuses to recognise the faint
tones, so my photo here is taken with a mobile
phone, which gives a somewhat more true representation.

Originally posted by Waikoa Observer newspaper Waikoa Observer newspaper wrote:

Scandal at the Post Office over yellow stamps!

A row has erupted at the Minaue Post Office, which sells fiscal stamps for tax purposes as agent for the Department of Finance.

One of the main stamps purchased in big bulk is the 4¼ reis stamp for entertainment tax.  These are affixed to all cinema and sporting event tickets, and now that cinemas have re-opened following the pandemic lockdown, large quantities are being used.

But the fiscal stamp series includes two yellow stamps: the aforementioned 4¼ reis, and also the 300 reis stamp, which is also yellow, though in a lemon shade.  Far fewer of that stamp are sold, as it is mainly used for tax on land transfer.

Last week, a postal assistant got a request from a customer for two dozen "yellow stamps for cinema tickets", and accidently handed over twenty-four of the yellow Rs 300 stamp, and only charged the client 102 reis, assuming it was the 4¼ reis stamp.

When it was time to balance the books at the end of the day, it was noted that the discrepancy  was Rs 7,098, and after much re-checking, the source of the error was identified.

The assistant was ordered to reimburse the Post Office the shortfall, but distraught, she went home and took an overdose of drugs in a suicide attempt.  Fortunately she was able to be revived in hospital, and the Post Office has agreed to write off the amount.

However, it highlights the problem of the stamp colours being so similar.  To solve the problem, the Rs 300 lemon stamps have all been withdrawn, and the printers instructed to print a new supply of Rs 300 stamps in red.  Most of the withdrawn Rs 300 stamp have now been overprinted "Official" for government office use.

A spokesman for Chan Hui Shudian Printers, Mr Jiang Malingshu, said that the original instructions for printing the fiscal stamps were that each stamp should be a distinctive different colour, and that black must not be used.  He thought that the orange and lemon stamps were sufficiently different to comply with that directive, and pointed out that each had the value inscription in a different colour so they looked nothing like each other.  And the suggested stamp colours were all signed off by the Governor.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 17:31
Originally posted by Panterra Panterra wrote:

Two tee or not two tee. That is the question.

If you think the Maggie Mailbox stamp is complicated, it has nothing on other Waikoan issues:

Waikoa Island 2019 postal-fiscal issue, 300 reis.

The controversial "yellow" fiscal stamps.
Note the lemon shade of the 300 reis stamp, and compare this with the scan of the same stamp shown above in my earlier post.

Originally posted by Waikoa Observer newspaper Waikoa Observer newspaper wrote:

Scandal at the Post Office
over yellow stamps!

A row has erupted at the Minaue Post Office, which sells fiscal stamps for tax purposes as agent for the Department of Finance.

One of the main stamps purchased in big bulk is the 4¼ reis stamp for entertainment tax.  These are affixed to all cinema and sporting event tickets, and now that cinemas have re-opened following the pandemic lockdown, large quantities are being used.

But the fiscal stamp series includes two yellow stamps: the aforementioned 4¼ reis, and also the 300 reis stamp, which is also yellow, though in a lemon shade.  Far fewer of that stamp are sold, as it is mainly used for tax on land transfer.

Last week, a postal assistant got a request from a customer for two dozen "yellow stamps for cinema tickets", and accidently handed over twenty-four of the yellow Rs 300 stamp, and only charged the client 102 reis, assuming it was the 4¼ reis stamp.

When it was time to balance the books at the end of the day, it was noted that the discrepancy  was Rs 7,098, and after much re-checking, the source of the error was identified.

The assistant was ordered to reimburse the Post Office the shortfall, but distraught, she went home and took an overdose of drugs in a suicide attempt.  Fortunately she was able to be revived in hospital, and the Post Office has agreed to write off the amount.

However, it highlights the problem of the stamp colours being so similar.  To solve the problem, the Rs 300 lemon stamps have all been withdrawn, and the printers instructed to print a new supply of Rs 300 stamps in red.  Most of the withdrawn Rs 300 stamp have now been overprinted "Official" for government office use.

A spokesman for Chan Hui Shudian Printers, Mr Jiang Malingshu, said that the original instructions for printing the fiscal stamps were that each stamp should be a distinctive different colour, and that black must not be used.  He thought that the orange and lemon stamps were sufficiently different to comply with that directive, and pointed out that each had the value inscription in a different colour so they looked nothing like each other.  And the suggested stamp colours were all signed off by the Governor.

Yesterday the new Rs 300 stamp in red shade was released, and my fisherwoman pal on the island kindly organised a few FDCs. Luckily the fish have been biting lately, so she had a glut of cash to fork out the huge cost (= US$300!) per FDC:

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 03:41

Waikoa Island 2020 42 tanos Official stamp. 2019 fiscal stamp overprinted.

Seven values of the long fiscal set were overprinted for exclusive Admin usage, but not the One Million Reis stamp (as government officials don't pay bribes, they only accept them.)

Waikoa Island 2020 6¼ reis Official stamp. 2019 fiscal stamp overprinted.

Waikoa Island 2020 twelve reis Official stamp. 2019 fiscal stamp overprinted.

Waikoa Island 2020 fifty-six reis Official stamp. 2019 fiscal stamp overprinted.

Waikoa Island 2020 three hundred reis Official stamp. 2019 fiscal stamp overprinted.

Waikoa Island 2020 two thousand reis Official stamp. 2019 fiscal stamp overprinted.

Waikoa Island 2020 fifteen thousand reis Official stamp. 2019 fiscal stamp overprinted.

Note that the Rs 300 stamp is the obsolete colour, recently withdrawn from regular sale due to ambiguity.  Most of the withdrawn stamps were given the overprint, as an alternative to destruction.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2020 at 20:09
Upper Yafa celebrates the 70th birthday of its much-loved ruler, Sultan Bogdo the second, on 19th July 2020 (or 28th Dhul Qadah, 1441, in Hijri calendar.)

As the birthday itself is a public holiday, the stamps were issued somewhat ahead of the date, namely on 8th July 2020.

Upper Yafa 2020 Sultan's 70th Birthday set.

The stamps show His Majesty the Sultan, and a Piper Warrior aircraft, a small plane that His Majesty learned to fly back in 1978 (= 1398 A.H.)

Originally posted by Wikipedia Wikipedia wrote:

The Islamic calendar, also known as the Hijri, Lunar, or Arabic calendar, is a lunar calendar consisting of 12 lunar months in a year of 354 or 355 days. It is used to determine the proper days of Islamic holidays & rituals, such as the annual period of fasting & the proper time for the Hajj.

Dhu al-Qa'dah is the 11th month in this calendar. It is one of the four sacred months in Islam during which warfare is prohibited, hence the name "Master of Truces". The most correct transliteration of the month according to the thirteenth century Syrian jurist al-Nawawi is Dhu'l Qa'dah.

The Piper PA-28 Cherokee is a family of two-seat or four-seat light aircraft built by Piper Aircraft and designed for flight training, air taxi and personal use. The PA-28 family of aircraft comprises all-metal, unpressurized, single-engined, piston-powered airplanes with low-mounted wings and tricycle landing gear. They have a single door on the right side, which is entered by stepping on the wing.

The first PA-28 received its type certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration in 1960 and the series remains in production to this day. Current models are the Warrior, Arrow, and Archer TX and LX, and the Pilot 100 and i100.

The PA-28-161 Warrior II is a 4-place, fixed landing gear landplane, Lycoming O-320-D3G engine of 160 hp (119 kW), gross weight 1,055 kg. First certified on 2 November 1976. Changes from the PA-28-160 include a tapered wing. Certified in 1982 for gross weight of 1,107 kg.

Upper Yafa 2020 Sultan's 70th Birthday set in minisheet.

StampHinger View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote StampHinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2020 at 02:04
I like the image of that Cherokee.  Indeed, it is "A fine aircraft."

StampHinger
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2020 at 17:22
Penguin on Marijuana

Or Marijuana on Penguin?

Mevu 2020 Marijuana Tax overprint on 2019 fiscal stamp.

Originally posted by Panterra Panterra wrote:

Mevu 2019 fiscal stamps, showing the Mevu crest with a penguin on iceberg.

Mevu has used a standing penguin on its crest since independence 50 years ago.

Visit their website.

The 7¼ reis stamp (mainly used for Marijuana Tax) was recently issued with an appropriate overprint.

Rs 7.25, Orange & green . . .    Marijuana tax. (Must be affixed to every half-ounce bag of cannabis sold.)

The basic stamp is printed in fluorescent orange, which does not take kindly to being scanned, and here seems a pale pink.  If you recall the bright fluoro orange supplied to paint model aircraft, it is the exact match!

Should we describe this as a
Penguin on Marijuana?

Or Marijuana on Penguin?   Tongue

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2020 at 05:43
A funny tale concerning the Waikoa Island "Maggie Mailbox" stamp, which has been frequently discussed in the past on this thread.

Craft printers in New Zealand have been invited to submit printed posters for an exhibition to be held in Christchurch, opening later this  month, thence to tour the country.  The Love Letters Exhibition follows on from a similar successful exhibition in Auckland back in 2018.

For the 2018 exhibition, they sought large-size posters (between A3 and A2 size), with letterpress printing involved.  As I usually do smaller posters than that, mostly A5 (210 mm x 148 mm), that restricted me a bit, so I entered my 2017 Mevu tourism poster (A3 size, the page size of a normal tabloid newspaper) as my entry.  This is a digital print, but with letterpress red metallic bronzing to create the Mevu crest in the lower right corner.

Mevu tourism poster, published by the Ministry of Commerce, Mevu.
This is the A4 printed version, with the crest in brown, used as a full-page colour advertisement in the UK magazine "The Cinderella Philatelist".

For this year's exhibition, I decided to upgrade the Mevu tourism poster, so printed a small number of a new version, which includes one of the significant 50th anniversary of independence commemoratives, and the 2,000 reis fiscal stamp.

Mevu tourism poster, 2020 version, published by the Ministry of Commerce, Mevu.
Note the 2,000 reis fiscal stamp, and the crest in gold at lower right.

I paid my entry fee, posted down the poster in time for the deadline (end of July), and the curator confirmed he had received it.

But a day later, I got an email from the curator saying he refused to include it, as it was identical with my work in the 2018 exhibition.  I protested, and called attention to the fact that this is the 2020 version, as can be proved from having 2020 stamps shown.  He still refused to include it, and said he would refund my entry fee and post back my poster.  I asked if I could submit a replacement, which he agreed to, "as long as it reaches here promptly."

Then I got an idea.
   Lamp  I asked him if he could use the envelope I mailed it in as my entry in the exhibition.  It is printed by letterpress, and also has two letterpress-printed stamps (Rs 200 and one million reis fiscals) on the envelope, along with a Maggie Mailbox sheet (with spelling error) and sundry other stamps.  He has agreed to this, so the A4 first day cover will now be shown in this exhibition of printed posters, seen throughout NZ.

He sent me a scan, and I see the NZ stamps to get it delivered have not been cancelled, as is usual these days.  So my efforts to do a nice cover have paid off, with the cover being exhibited, rather than the contents!

Waikoa Island 2020 Lettter Writing Week FDC, sent to the Love Letters Exhibition in Christchurch.

Terms of this exhibition are that exhibitors do not get their artworks returned: they all become part of the Ferrymead Museum collection. Aren't you glad stamp exhibitions don't have such curious  conditions‽

I seem to have circumvented that proviso, being the sole artist whose entry is being returned, while the Maggie Mailbox cover,  accompanied by a million-dollar revenue stamp (which I assumed would end up in the trash) is being kept for posterity by the Museum. Maggie rules! — oh frabjous day!

Sic arte versatur.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>