FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stamps of Bruce Henderson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
guyana1230 View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote guyana1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stamps of Bruce Henderson
    Posted: 27 September 2022 at 08:38
Done all the Kemp Land issues that I have and any that I've found pictures for, hopefully do some more Occussi-Ambeno this weekend and maybe some of the others Tongue
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 23:12
Interesting! Thank you  :-)

My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote guyana1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 03:52
Colnect is an online catalogue which operates on a Wikipedia style, I have been contributing to their listings.  Mainly I listed loads of Guyana stamps as I have a large collection from there (9 albums) and have recently started putting the few stamps I have from Kemp Land and Occussi-Ambeno.

https://colnect.com/en/stamps/years/country/520-Cinderellas/series/407385-Kemp_Land
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 00:25
What is Colnect?
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2022 at 14:17
You can get lots of Kemp Land pics from the Stampboards site here:

and also on the Kemp Land website:

Most Occussi-Ambeno stamps can be seen on the online OA Catalogue, here:

First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote guyana1230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2022 at 00:00
Have starting trying to get as many issues of Kemp Land and Occussi-Ambeno onto Colnect as I can.  Problem is finding pictures (decent ones) and dates of issue, but I am trying slowly.  Have started to pilfer a couple of pics from here (not as many as I would like) to fill gaps from the few issues I have.  
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2022 at 20:18
First Day Cover of the Raoul Bird set.
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2022 at 20:13
Raoul Island 2021 Birds set.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2021 at 17:44
                                                                                Raoul Island 2021 Yuri Gagarin minisheet.
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2021 at 16:23
One of the heroes of the "Space Race" is Yuri Gagarin. As the 60th anniversary of his flight into Space approaches, Raoul Island has announced a commemorative stamp to honour the occasion.

Raoul 2021 Yuri Gargarin 60th anniversary of space flight.

Originally posted by Raoul Post Office Raoul Post Office wrote:

Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin flew into space in 1961. His mission was one of the defining moments of the 20th century and changed the face of space history forever.
Here are five reasons why this astronaut became a Legend of Space.

1) Gagarin was the first human to travel into space.

On April 12th 1961, Yuri Gagarin became the first human to travel into space and orbit the Earth. In the heat of the ‘space race’, the Soviet Union’s achievement increased the pressure on the American space agency NASA and led to many other important landmarks in space history, such as the Apollo programme to send men to the Moon. Even though Gagarin wasn’t the first living being to cross Earth’s atmosphere (a dog named Laika went into space in 1957), he was the first one to be able to tell the whole story and explain what it’s like to see Earth from orbit, presenting a full, thrilling description of what he saw, heard and felt.

2) Gagarin laid down the blueprint for astronauts to come.

Many of today’s pre-flight routines and traditions are based on Gagarin’s final moments before launch. Astronauts might include in their ritual, for instance, a haircut, a cold glass of champagne and a screening of the 1969 Soviet film “The White Sun of the Desert”, all of which Gagarin did before he went to space. However, the most famous, and perhaps most curious tradition started by Gagarin is to stop on the way to the launch pad and urinate on the left back wheel of the bus. Allegedly, the Soviet astronaut asked the driver for a stopover so he could “take a leak” before reaching the launch site.

3) Gagarin almost died during the mission.

Nobody was very sure whether Gagarin would survive his flight, and the story goes that he came close to losing his life during the descent phase. Before landing, Gagarin’s capsule was supposed to easily detach from the main spacecraft. However, some of the cables failed to release as they should. This meant the astronaut’s capsule had an extra unit attached to it during its descent. The capsule whirled uncontrollably and the interior temperature rose, meaning Gagarin nearly lost consciousness and barely managed to eject out of the capsule as planned. He eventually parachuted down safely from an altitude of 7 km. Legend has it that he landed on a field and was found by farmer Anna Takhtarova who had watched his shocking descent. In disbelief, she asked: “Have you come from space?”

4) Gagarin was chosen because he was a short son of a potato farmer.

Soviet cosmonaut selection criteria were a little different to those used today. Firstly, his size. The capsule in Vostok 1 was very small, and so Gagarin’s 1m 57cm height made him a strong candidate. Gagarin was so short that he used a cushion on his seat when he flew his fighter jet in order to see better. Secondly, his background. During selection, Gagarin found himself up against Gherman Titov, a son of a school teacher known for quoting poetry. It was decided that the average citizen of the Soviet Union would be more likely to relate to, and celebrate someone like Gagarin, who was the son of a potato farmer.

5) Gagarin was brave enough to ride a spacecraft he couldn’t control.

Gagarin had the courage to be the first one to hop into a spacecraft that he couldn’t actually control. For security reasons, the Vostok 1 was completely controlled from the ground. However, in a worst case scenario, if ground communications were lost, Gagarin could open a sealed envelope containing the codes that would grant him control of the spaceship when typed on an on-board computer.

The special $1.20 stamp shows a photo of Gagarin in his capsule, and is printed in small minisheets of six. Date of issue is Sunday 12th April 2021.

The white Mongolian vertical script down the left side of the stamp says "Raoul Island" while the script down the right margin says "Yuri Gagarin". There are many Mongolians now living in Raoul, so the government is trying to assist them by showing Mongolian on stamps and having Mongolian converters on the state website.

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>