Print Page | Close Window

WHY SO QUIET?!

Printed From: Cinderella Stamps Forum
Category: Everything else other than stamps!
Forum Name: Anything goes
Forum Description: From discovering the meaning of life, to just idle chatter and gossip - tell us here...
URL: http://www.cinderellastampsforum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1245
Printed Date: 19 November 2017 at 23:38


Topic: WHY SO QUIET?!
Posted By: havelook
Subject: WHY SO QUIET?!
Date Posted: 29 June 2017 at 22:39
Is it normally so quiet on this forum?

Has anyone bought or found anything interesting or been to any shows recently?

What do you all do when you're not being stamp collectors?  Have you got other interests you could discuss here?

Wink


-------------
gary!



Replies:
Posted By: Steve
Date Posted: 30 June 2017 at 00:29
Originally posted by havelook havelook wrote:

Is it normally so quiet on this forum?

Has anyone bought or found anything interesting or been to any shows recently?

What do you all do when you're not being stamp collectors?  Have you got other interests you could discuss here?

Wink


Look how many replies members gve, except when they want to knowsomething

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Discworld-Stamp-Collector/809424215750892" rel="nofollow - The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook Have a look!


Posted By: Colin
Date Posted: 30 June 2017 at 05:00
I think many of us are split over Facebook, Twitter and other social sites so it can become quiet here.

Any suggestions welcome! 

It didn't used to be like this there were various threads that were kept busy - but I think that may have been in the early days when many of the members had a common interest in discworld cinderella.  Now the membership is more fragmented.

All I can say is thank you to the regulars who keep posting up new material and do their best to keep it interesting.  Thanks Steve!


-------------
Happiness doesn't come from getting something we don't have, but through recognising and appreciating what we do have.


Posted By: Zzzzz
Date Posted: 03 July 2017 at 05:38
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

I think many of us are split over Facebook, Twitter and other social sites so it can become quiet here.

Any suggestions welcome! 

It didn't used to be like this there were various threads that were kept busy - but I think that may have been in the early days when many of the members had a common interest in discworld cinderella.  Now the membership is more fragmented.

All I can say is thank you to the regulars who keep posting up new material and do their best to keep it interesting.  Thanks Steve!

As it is summer many of us also have family and social commitments that keep us away from being online and (for me anyway) away from my hobby.  I seem to spend more time on my collection during the winter months when I am more inclined to be staying indoors.

As for suggestions, why not have specific forums set up for different collecting interests?  So a separate forum for Discworld stamps, another for Revenues, etc?  Rather than bundling every post or thread in to one big 'Cinderella stamps' forum. That way you would quickly be able to see what collectors were interested in without having to go through lots of posts about things you are less interested in. 

What happened to this year's forum stamp?  That usually creates a bit of interest.



-------------
I'm not very good at advice, might I offer you some sarcasm instead?


Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 03 July 2017 at 06:18
Originally posted by Zzzzz Zzzzz wrote:



As for suggestions, why not have specific forums set up for different collecting interests?  So a separate forum for Discworld stamps, another for Revenues, etc?  Rather than bundling every post or thread in to one big 'Cinderella stamps' forum. That way you would quickly be able to see what collectors were interested in without having to go through lots of posts about things you are less interested in. 

What happened to this year's forum stamp?  That usually creates a bit of interest.


Great suggestions - thoughts anyone?

The Forum anniversary stamps?  After having had various members order them, most of this year's (already tiny!) print run is still here and I am not inclined to spend time, energy and money on doing it again this year as the original idea was that the stamps should help raise funds to meet the costs of running the forum each year - and they end up losing us money instead!  

At least those people who have loyally and consistently supported the fundraiser in the past will know they now have a rare series of stamps in ther collections.

MORE suggestions please!!!






-------------
I began this forum as a place to discuss and share ALL cinderella stamps. It is my first forum and is not perfect BUT I will endeavour to make it the best available.

Any positive help appreciated!


Posted By: LOTSA
Date Posted: 05 July 2017 at 05:57
I am pleased to see the anniversary stamps have been terminated.

Not everyone enjoys voting for their favourite design only to find some other drivel has won instead. Then to be asked to buy said drivel just rubs salt into wounds. None of my favourites has ever won.

If you want to raise funds for operating the forum then try charging for membership.  

Or have a raffle of donated stamps.


Posted By: Steve
Date Posted: 05 July 2017 at 06:00
I'm not sure the winners considered their efforts as drivel, and as voting was democratic I am sure the most popular designs won

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Discworld-Stamp-Collector/809424215750892" rel="nofollow - The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook Have a look!


Posted By: LOTSA
Date Posted: 06 July 2017 at 22:20
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

I'm not sure the winners considered their efforts as drivel, and as voting was democratic I am sure the most popular designs won

Perhaps this is another example of how recent popular democracy does not always guarantee the best result for everyone. Clearly Admin feels unhappy that while the winners receive lots of votes, their popularity does not transfer so readily to sales. And those members who voted but did not buy the winner therefore feel that the winning design had very limited value. Perhaps 'drivel' was harsh but let me try to explain.

Many of the members here are more focused on traditional, catalogued, cinderella items and not the more homespun self-authored artistamp material (and I include Discworld in that) that has appeared since desktop publishing simplified printing. Whilst these members might want to take part on a public vote they cannot be expected to buy a sheet of homemade stamps that will have nothing to do with their core collection. 'Support Your Forum!!!' you might well exclaim, but the more established folks here will have other forums and clubs to support too, and the majority of those do not charge $6 for a sheet of stamps and $7 to mail it.

I like the idea of a raffle of donated items to raise money for the running of the forum. It means there is a good chance that some interesting items will be donated and corresponding prices achieved. But in all honesty I question who will donate their own precious stamps to fund a forum that has perhaps 5 regular contributors (as opposed to those using it as a shop window), and where the most frequent contributions are from people asking for help in identifying their stamps, and whose similar posts also appear on other forums and boards?





Posted By: Colin
Date Posted: 07 July 2017 at 01:18
Originally posted by LOTSA LOTSA wrote:

Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

I'm not sure the winners considered their efforts as drivel, and as voting was democratic I am sure the most popular designs won

Perhaps this is another example of how recent popular democracy does not always guarantee the best result for everyone. Clearly Admin feels unhappy that while the winners receive lots of votes, their popularity does not transfer so readily to sales. And those members who voted but did not buy the winner therefore feel that the winning design had very limited value. Perhaps 'drivel' was harsh but let me try to explain.

Many of the members here are more focused on traditional, catalogued, cinderella items and not the more homespun self-authored artistamp material (and I include Discworld in that) that has appeared since desktop publishing simplified printing. Whilst these members might want to take part on a public vote they cannot be expected to buy a sheet of homemade stamps that will have nothing to do with their core collection. 'Support Your Forum!!!' you might well exclaim, but the more established folks here will have other forums and clubs to support too, and the majority of those do not charge $6 for a sheet of stamps and $7 to mail it.

I like the idea of a raffle of donated items to raise money for the running of the forum. It means there is a good chance that some interesting items will be donated and corresponding prices achieved. But in all honesty I question who will donate their own precious stamps to fund a forum that has perhaps 5 regular contributors (as opposed to those using it as a shop window), and where the most frequent contributions are from people asking for help in identifying their stamps, and whose similar posts also appear on other forums and boards?

OK... so some positives in there  LOL

The bottom line appears to be that no-one should expect to please everybody all of the time...

Perhaps it is time I started a separate forum instead for all us 'homemade' stamp producers?

Ouch


-------------
Happiness doesn't come from getting something we don't have, but through recognising and appreciating what we do have.


Posted By: Steve
Date Posted: 07 July 2017 at 08:32
LOTSA

Can I suggest that you post up some of the Cinderella stamps that you collect and appreciate. Lead by example. It is quiet here because people are reluctant for some inescapable reason.


-------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Discworld-Stamp-Collector/809424215750892" rel="nofollow - The Discworld Stamp Collector on FaceBook Have a look!


Posted By: Londonbus1
Date Posted: 07 July 2017 at 10:20
Originally posted by Zzzzz Zzzzz wrote:


As it is summer many of us also have family and social commitments that keep us away from being online and (for me anyway) away from my hobby.  I seem to spend more time on my collection during the winter months when I am more inclined to be staying indoors.

As for suggestions, why not have specific forums set up for different collecting interests?  So a separate forum for Discworld stamps, another for Revenues, etc?  Rather than bundling every post or thread in to one big 'Cinderella stamps' forum. That way you would quickly be able to see what collectors were interested in without having to go through lots of posts about things you are less interested in. 

What happened to this year's forum stamp?  That usually creates a bit of interest.


I don't see any problems with the forum set-up. There is a place for Discworld stamps, a place for revenues, a place for whatever you wish to post. There has to be Forums and sub-forums and scrolling through a few topics is not that difficult in my humble opinion.
Sorry for my absence this year, it has been a very tough time since last November with family and health issues and now I have another major problem along with millions of others......Photobucket. This is a nightmare. Being held to ransom is not a nice feeling and has destroyed the look of many a forum of late. My apologies to this forum comes with the hope that some day I can replace the images that are lost.
But it will take time.

Londonbus1


Posted By: Colin
Date Posted: 19 July 2017 at 23:01
Originally posted by LOTSA LOTSA wrote:

If you want to raise funds for operating the forum then try charging for membership.  

Or have a raffle of donated stamps.

Recent conversations with other members have caused me to re-read this thread in a different light.


Just out of interest, LOTSA, as you have brought it up and must have altready given it some thought, what do you consider to be a fair membership charge?

And would you be happy to run the raffle and organise donations of stamps?




-------------
Happiness doesn't come from getting something we don't have, but through recognising and appreciating what we do have.


Posted By: ulrich
Date Posted: 25 July 2017 at 04:10
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

Just out of interest, LOTSA, as you have brought it up and must have altready given it some thought, what do you consider to be a fair membership charge?


There are many 'free' clubs for stamps online and on social media, I do not think charging for membership here will work.

Perhaps charge members to sell their stamps here instead. Most of the recent posts and many of the new members seem to stem from the desire to sell their collections?



Print Page | Close Window