Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I take mine black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2014 at 10:24
Thanks for that Anne
I think cigarette cards went out of fashion in the 1940s. But we, obviously, had tea cards. I collected PG Tips cards for quite a few years. They were great for a bit of information about wild animals, flowers, butterflies etc

[cannot get that link to work]
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2014 at 00:06
I only began to collect cigarette cards long after they were discontinued. The majority of mine date 1935 to 1950, though the later ones are American. Perhaps the war put an earlier end to them here? 

Tea cards often crop up in car boots locally, frequently stuck onto their albums. Fifty years on the adhesives commonly used lift off well with only a little encouragement.

I am always impressed by how well cigarette card artists managed to compress so much information into a tiny space. Not as tiny as a stamp of course and without the additional constraints of requiring a price and country of origin.  And rarely were these cards photographic. I wonder where the hand-painted originals for all these mini-masterpieces of 'commercial art' are now?

Advertising stamps are very similar to cigarette cards and have the added requirements of branding and slogans. It must have been fun to find these on envelopes and parcels. Collecting them probably often started due to recipients not wishing to throw them away, in the same way that pictorial stamps have lead many of us into broader areas of philately.

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2014 at 00:39
Not just tea/cigarette cards with information as well as nice artwork. The Nestle / Kohler collector's stamps and their albums from 1910s and 1920s equally good.
I posted some them a little while ago
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2014 at 02:40
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

Not just tea/cigarette cards with information as well as nice artwork. The Nestle / Kohler collector's stamps and their albums from 1910s and 1920s equally good.
I posted some them a little while ago

Very nice Steve!  I will have to keep an eye out for all of these on eBay.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2014 at 08:58
A little known Welsh (outside Wales) sweetie company issued their own stamp series and you can see one of them here
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2014 at 03:45
And another.
I already have one of these but nicer to have a block; shows me how the sheet was laid out

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2014 at 04:16
Another 'set' of coffee manufacurer's poster stamps. I have no idea if this is a full set; some similar items have a item and series number discretely positioned at the bottom. I quite like the mix of designs on this bunch

For the DW fans here, which do you think is a plug for their Klatchian blend?
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2016 at 23:59
A few more coffee related German poster stamps I received recently. A mix of one-offs and additions to part sets that I have already

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 10:06
A few more Coffee related cindies from Germany have come my way

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12