Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WW2 World Peace Good Will

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WW2 World Peace Good Will
    Posted: 30 January 2013 at 16:00
Came across this nice old Cinderella in a recent acquisition of vintage covers. Posted Sacramento 1937

Anyone familiar with it? 

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 21:12
Not familar at all, but a bit of an oddity. Where in the world do you think is shown there. Certainly not California. The cart, the ox, the white clothing to me suggest India. Not sure about the buildings but could be that neck of the woods. However could be one of many on a sheet showing scenes across the globe.
A response to impending conflict that was building up in Europe? Not perhaps printed for a specific reason, but a general message to the World.
Bas S Warwick View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 21:32
Hi Steve
Discovered on the rear of this cover

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 21:52
An odd typeface used on this too. The W looks odd and so does the middle bar of the E, being so low down. Perhaps if that could be identified it could give more clues.
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 09:00
The style of art reminds me of what is often called 'naive' art. 

The cart has the solid wooden wheel and is being pulled by what looks like an long horned ox - could it be an alpine country. Note also the house criss cross balustrading and steep roof angle. 
Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 11:37
There seems to be a palm tree in the foreground, and the children and woman in white seem non European. I can't help but think that I've seen that typeface before, a long time ago... That'll be on my mind now. 
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 00:43
I believe the typeface has been drawn by hand, probably by the illustrator?
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 12:28
ptolemeo
Yes that is a possibility comparing top and bottom lines on the size of W and O. However I did find an Art Deco font that is similar

Gloria Bold 
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2018 at 13:19
Due to the photobucket debacle

......unable to edit original post so heres the stamp again

Post Reply Post Reply