Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mrs Sanderson Requests

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 23:45
Could someone post up a picture please now that the explanation is known?

Sounds like Steve's work to me  Wink
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 01:36
Mine has arrived, with a nice personalised orangish gold stamp.
What is that at the top middle? I don't want to influence anybody, but has it got bells on?
Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 01:41
Could it be a jester's hat?
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 01:44
Originally posted by watermane watermane wrote:

Could someone post up a picture please now that the explanation is known?

Sounds like Steve's work to me  Wink

Here you are ....

Joolz View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Joolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 05:35
I can read the signature on the invitation card more clearly on that scan, Steve, than I can on the invitation card I received myself.

It's another clue to Theodore Hook of course, him being T. Hook and the signatory of our invitations being H. Took.

Although, if I had been able to decipher it, it might have taken me down an erroneous Hobbit hole of inquiry rather than to the correct answer that Daniel found.
Jonty View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 06:02
The one I received today has the usual invitation then adds " She wishes to discuss some private investigations of rather a delicate nature with you"
It is then signed as above in Steve's post. The lower left and right corners contains "J" and "H" 
Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh until it's needed
Keegan View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keegan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 03:13
Hi All,
I was lucky enough to receive an intriguing invitation myself yesterday. The envelope and finely gilded invitation contains most of the same details as already reported but my letter was posted in the Bath/Bristol area, the bottom corner letters on my stamp are 'NK' (what an uncanny coincidence!) and Mrs Sanderson wishes to discuss island holidays in the Bristol Channel with me, I'm on it!

Some very clever work has gone into this and I am astonished by the high standard of detective work employed. Didn't bother with any of that stuff myself because my plan was to jump in any black cab as the driver would surely know Mrs Sanderson and her residence.

However I'll have to disuade her from her original plan as I would much prefer to take her up the Orkneys.

Rehab is for quitters
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 03:27
Originally posted by Keegan Keegan wrote:

... the bottom corner letters on my stamp are 'NK' (what an uncanny coincidence!)

No coincidence I think. The stamps seem to be personalised.
Hilary View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 05:44
I have been invited to discuss the archiving of her family documents.  I'm sure they will be fascinating.

Another extraordinarily clever artefact and stamp, from the department of extraordinarily clever artefacts and stamps.  (We know who you are - no use being coy!) 
With a memory full of ships, and seas, and perilous headlands, and the shining Pharos, he must apply his long sighted eyes to the petty niceties of drawing. - Robert Louis Stevenson
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 05:53
Originally posted by Joolz Joolz wrote:

Well done, Daniel. That's brilliant research.

Based on it, I'd guess that "H. L. & S." is "hook, line and sinker".

Thank you on both counts Big smile

The date of the hoax varies from one source to another but I dismissed the date given in Wikipedia in favour of a much more detailed account from The Museum of Hoaxes:

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/archive/permalink/the_berners_street_hoax/

At the bottom of this excellent article is a link to a contemporary account, The Annual Register for the Year 1810 (published in 1812) which gives, one assumes, the correct date.

I doubt that even if the entire forum descended on The Sanderson Hotel we could replicate the chaos of the original event!

Hook sounds like a very interesting man but he clearly had too much time on his hands. He went on to found the John Bull newspaper and the biography 'The Man Who Was John Bull ' is currently still in print.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>