Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Space Cinderellas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 20:28
Thanks for the correction. A transcription error on my part swapping from one page to another whilst typing.

Please share your image(s). I for one would be interested to see them.
Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 21:10
Yes me too - please post up some pictures.

Were you responsible in some way for the production of the remaining full sheets?

And welcome to the forum btw!   Big smile
I began this forum as a place to discuss and share ALL cinderella stamps. It is my first forum and is not perfect BUT I will endeavour to make it the best available.

Any positive help appreciated!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 16:33
Thank you for your interest in viewing the space cinderellas from St. Catherines, Canada.  The following links should show photos of these interesting cinderellas.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91955612@N07/8355838857/in/photostream

ps: I do have like 4-5 sheets available for sale.  Let me know your wants.  Thank you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 16:37
I don't know anything about the circumstances surrounding the printing of these interesting Space cinderellas. I recall purchasing a lot many years ago from a dealer in New Jersey and these were part of that hoard.  Thank you for your interest.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 20:49
Interesting to see the back of the sheet - the perforation looks like a nightmare!
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 06:43
I have been looking out for the Dan Dare Interplanetary stamp folder for well over 4 years and have finally not been outbid on one of these.
Dan Dare was one of the major stories in the Eagle comin from 1950 to 1967. The stamps date to 1953 under licence by Lever Brothers to promote Lifebuoy soap. Two stamps, from a set of 32, were included with each bar of soap. The folder and a starter pack of 8 eight stamps was orderable for just 7½d (thats old pence - about 3p). My album have the stamps stuck in AND this is the intention. Unmounted mint was not an option to kids in 1953 so this folder is the real thing.

The popularity of Dan Dare cn be measured by the fact that he has featured on Royal Mail stamps

and that he gets a mention in songs by David Bowie, Elton John and Pink Floyd.
Joolz View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Joolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2017 at 23:21
Nice cinderellas, Steve. Thumbs Up

The production quality looks pretty reasonable and quite a number of the designs look to be pretty detailed and impressive in terms of their illustration and design content. Is there any indication in the folder of who printed the stamps and what printing process they were done with? How do you think they were printed from looking at them in the flesh?
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2017 at 23:59
They are very well produced Joolz. Just like the real thing, and the blurb actually states that they had design influence from real postage stamps. The designer himself was a Leonard True, but can find no further information about him or the printers. The printing is very sharp and I believe they are comb perforated which are pointers towards a company used to printing stamps.
If you think that today's merchandising of fictional characters goes over the top, the same can be said for Dan Dare in the fifties. Any emphemera associated with the comic strip normally sells for a premium.
The offer of these stamps only ran for 8 months so that limits the number of the complete albums available these days, though they did run a swaps programme so you could complete the set. However that would mean buying 2 bars of that brand of soap a month.On the net you can see these items selling for £90 £140 or more, so reckon I got a bargain.
I still haven't found out why the single stamps that started this thread are postmarked North Walsham, Norfolk. 23 March 1963.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2017 at 00:18
The same stamp offer was made in Australia during 1957, this time by Solvol Soap (which was owned by the same company as WD40, not Lever Bros).
Here is a large image of one stamp to show the quality and level of detail

They were printed se-tenant so perhaps one sheet comprised the full 32 stamp set, or perhaps done in batches of 8 for each part of the release.

And if you doubt the values put on the folder, an unopened packet of 2 stamps sold for £64!
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 18:10

Here are some nice space stamps I did back in 2015, for my friend Andree in Scotland.

Sorbie Marsh 2014 Peppa Pig miniature sheet.

Originally posted by Andree Davies Andree Davies wrote:

Sorbie Marsh, home of the Hannah Clan
by Andree Davies

It began as an innocent request from a three year old

Members of the Kirkcudbright Philatelic Society run a junior stamp club at a local school.  One of those members was telling me that his three-year-old grand daughter wanted to collect stamps, but they must be Peppa Pig.

So putting my thinking cap on, I contacted a fellow Cinderella Stamp Club member Bruce Henderson, who has done many cinderella stamps over the years.  I explained the young girl’s request, and he very kindly obliged.  Peppa Pig came out in two values and a nice minisheet, and we continued with more Sorbie stamps.

I add them to my mail, and they often attract the local postmark on them as well as on the GB stamps nearby!

Sorbie Marsh stamps with Royal Mail postmarks of 25th July 2016 plus the usual "Machins" to pay the postage.

So where is Sorbie, you ask?

It is a small rural village in southwest Scotland, in Dumfries & Galloway.  The cows and sheep far outnumber the sturdy human inhabitants, who rise at 5 a.m. and are in bed by 10 p.m. – farming means long hours!

Mobile phone? – forget it. Internet? – maybe it will work, maybe it won’t.

We even have a street light. Being in a dark sky area, we see the wonder of the night sky and even the Northern Lights.

The members of the Hannah Clan gather every year at the Sorbie Tower. I sent some of my Sorbie Marsh stamps to a member of the Hannah Clan in Colorado, who is putting them on the clan's website.  I’ve also sent some to other collector friends.

Showing my Sorbie collection in Dumfries and Kirkcudbright raised some laughs, but you never know.  They may fetch millions in years to come!  Those showing my grandsons playing the bagpipes have proved to be most popular, as have the Outer Space Research.

Sorbie Marsh 2015 Space Pioneers set.

Many thanks to Bruce who has made a very happy three-year-old. So Sorbie is now on the map, philatelically-speaking.  For future issues, I hope we will see a Belted Galloway cow and the Sorbie Tower.  I welcome other ideas.

If you would like some Sorbie stamps, I am happy to trade for your spares, though I prefer Haiti and cinderellas generally.  Contact me at:
Mrs Andree Davies, 5 Reiffer Park Gardens, Sorbie, Wigtownshire, DG8 8EJ, Scotland.

Let’s keep Sorbie on the map!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fun philately in bonnie Scotland!  Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>