Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Space Cinderellas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space Cinderellas
    Posted: 10 December 2012 at 11:10
I recently managed to get my mitts on some of the Dan Dare stamps which date back to 1953 (time enough to prepare a 60th anniversary special issue?). They were free with Lifebuoy soap and collectors could claim a free album.

Not a full set by any means so I will be on the lookout for missing ones.
This is the album

At the time of writing there is a used copy of this on Amazon for £120. I don't think I can run to that!
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 11:40
I had posted up some images of similar items, but surprisingly it was on the previous version of this Forum. So here they are again.

This sheet is a version of some of the original Dan Dare stamps

These 'Interplanetary Essays are more common, and were produced in the USA in 1958 from the original plates seemingly, by H.E.McDonald of the Tatham Stamp Company.

These Interplanetary Essays seem fairly common

and lack something in design and concept.
I am not sure whether there were more than this one sheet. 4 sets are mentioned, but this sheet is the only one ever showm.

And another bit of fun stuff that would have been a free gift when requesting approvals. Dates from the early part of the 1960s
Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 00:12
I recall my model rocketry years when, on occasions, we would prepare "Mail carrier" rockets and fire them up with a cargo of appropriately stamped mail. Assuming the parachute deployed correctly, and the rocket wound up in a position that it was safe to recover it from, and that there had been no burn through from the rocket motor.  We would then recover the "Rocket Mail" and post it on to the recipients.

The Dan Dare stamps are lovely. I must look out for some.
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 11:39
I don't suppose you still have any of those covers do you?
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 22:48
I'm very sorry, they were all sent to those who requested them... and it was years ago. I could build another mail carrying rocket easily enough however! It would have to be a simple one though... No kite this time.
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 23:33
How accurate could these rockets be and over what distance?

I am thinking of the possibility of a postal service to some island or remote part. Knock up some stamps etc
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 23:54
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

How accurate could these rockets be and over what distance?

I am thinking of the possibility of a postal service to some island or remote part. Knock up some stamps etc

Careful.  I think that excuse has been used by the North Koreans and it doesn't seem to be believed - particularly in Japan.

Keith
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 00:08
If you're talking about hitting an island a few hundred yards away it's not going to be easy. Firing one across the Welsh or Scottish border would be a lot easier. The further it has to go, the larger and more expensive the rocket motors will have to be, and the less likely the rocket is to land near the target. 
Unguided Rockets are easy enough to point in the right direction and fire, but if they have a large payload they have a tendency to weathercock, (turn into the wind), and head off at a tangent to where they were aimed. They also have a recovery device, which causes the nose cone to pop off and a parachute to be deployed at apogee, so that the rocket and it's cargo will float safely down and not crash, destroying the mail. Once the parachute is deployed the rocket is again at the mercy of the wind, and on a windy day can be carried a fair distance before becoming tangled in the only really tall tree in the vicinity. 
Any kind of guided rocket is well beyond my capabilities to build, that's for the real physicists with big grants.
The rocket mail postman has to be a rare breed, a runner and a climber, as well as being a rocket wizzard! 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 16:24
Trinimalam here, excuse me.  A point of correction to this post.  The reprint should have read; copyrighted by H. E. Macintosh, Springfield Mass.  not H. E. McDonald.
I have several of these sheetlets with same H. E. MacIntosh listed.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 16:30
The Space Sheet from Modern Publications of St. Catherine's Canada also exist in a larger format consisting of four sets of the same design.  I may post a scan if there is a request for it.  I do have a few full sheets left.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>