Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stamp Exhibitions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stamp Exhibitions
    Posted: 16 April 2010 at 13:49
Stamp exhibitions can often be a great source for new cinderella material. There is usually a souvenir sheet of varying quality. Some of the most outstanding were issued for the annual British Philatelic Exhibitions reproducing variations of classic stamps using original printing processes. Thus there was, in 1975, the George V 1925 British Empire Exhibition plate proof printed in recess by Thomas De La Rue in blue and in 1979, also recess printed by De La Rue, the George V all time classic PUC £1 in purple. These are shown here:

More recently the London Internationals have produced some great cinderella souvenirs. For Stamp World London 90 there was a veritable cornucopia of material. It being the 150th anniversary of the Penny Black that year, there were reproductions of the Penny Black and Twopenny Blue reproduced from the original dies in miniature sheet form, a sheet of essays for the George VI 1940 centenary of the Penny Black stamps (also in the handbook plus I have these as perforated stamp versions), reproduction postcards and, in the souvenir handbook, original Perkins Bacon printed souvenir sheets for the 1940 exhibition that was cancelled because of the war. These latter items feature the Chalon Portrait of Queen Victoria, there were 2 sheets in blue and black. There is a good article on these in the April edition of Stamp Magazine by the famous Kiddle Brothers.

The Royal Mail produced an Anniversary Book featuring the 1990 anniversary stamps plus a reproduction Mulready envelope.

For Stamp Show 2000, Royal Mail produced a presentation pack featuring a block of 4 Penny Blacks (without corner letters) hand printed in intaglio on hand-made pure cotton paper. I also have souvenir sheets from Enschede printers in the Netherlands reproducing a painting in the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam in miniature sheet form and large size. Plus from Tullis Russell Coatings, a perforated miniature sheet showing examples of their work:

Edited by Daniel - 16 April 2010 at 13:51
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2010 at 05:39
That gives me ideas about things to go with my WIPA 1933 collection.  There's a local stamp fair tomorrow.  I think I might wonder along and see what GB exhibition stuff I can find.

Thanks Daniel

Keith
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2010 at 08:00
I did manage to get my hands on the PUC £1 black reproduction Daniel showed.  It's a real beauty.  Perfect printing as you might expect.  Very cheap as it only cost £1.

I also got my hands on the Stamp Show 2000 Penny Black block of 4 reprinted (hand printed) in intaglio.  Still in their unopened presentation pack.  Quite expensive though at £30.

I also managed items from the Stampexes of 1974 and 1976.  I'll scan those when I have time.

Keith
Londonbus1 View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Londonbus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 09:51
I managed to pick up a couple of BPE sheets at Philatex. I had all the normals so the Overprints were a lovely addition to the collection.

No pics though, sorry.

Londonbus1
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Londonbus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2010 at 00:16
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2010 at 00:32
Want one.  Give it to me.  My precious.  Heart

Keith
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Londonbus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2010 at 01:25
Here is one, even more scarce.

Testing the correct link here, the last one was not good, so bear with me.

Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Londonbus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2010 at 01:27
Ok, I think I've got it now !!
here it is, fingers crossed.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2012 at 22:58

Is there anything special being launched at this year's Stamex and if so would someone who is going please get one for me?

Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2012 at 02:00
Hi Andy

See below:

This year's freebie is a postcard (well, we are all cutting back...) and a Smiler sheet celebrating 'the tragedy of the Titanic' though whether that might change given the cruiseboat deaths at the weekend is anyone's guess.

Not terribly spectacular, but if you want me to pick anything up for you just shout.

Probably best to continue any 'shopper' requests on the Events thread...
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>