Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Selling, buying or trading cinderella stamps > Market Place
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Share stamps for Pirate Voyages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2012 at 00:56
Lol! Nuff said!
Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh until it's needed
Tom View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2012 at 03:11
I think as long as you don't actually iron them flat or put them in a book-press they'll stay quite distinct! When I stuck them on the documents I pressed down pretty hard. If you think about the old revenue-embossed paper and embossed postal stationery, yes there are some weak images. But I think those are mostly because they were weakly done in the first place, not because of flattening over the years. I've heard that (on US postal stationery) they would emboss several sheets at once... as many as four. That would leave one very crisp but the following ones increasingly weak. I'm embossing each of these one at a time directly on the master die.

Enjoy!
Tom Maringer
Shire Post
Fantasy coins and stamps
Quilpusha View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quilpusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 19:25
Tom,

. . . could I throw in the following twopennyworth?

Back in 1721, paper itself was a tad more primative than it is today. Given that Pirates roamed the Carribean Islands to ply their trade, they probably had to depend on locally made paper. This I would have thought, would have more resembled papryus.
And as to embossing - well you are the expert amongst us on this forum, but dare I ask when mechanical presses first appeared? Not in 1721 I venture to guess. I picture a large muscular blacksmith type, swinging his hammer down onto the back of a 'coin', the front of which carried the image that was to be 'embossed'. The blacksmith's skills would have been stretched to the absolute  to ensure a successful impact at the required velocity to enable a resul in some form or other. And as I am sure it proved nigh on impossible to find someone to align and then hold the 'paper and coin' assembly steady while he hit it, then nothing was probably further from his mind than the accurate positioning from one 'strike' to another. In fact, criticism of 'finish' may well have resulted in him silently offering the hammer to the critic.
Slight variations in the centering of your embossing, adds to the stamp's appeal and authenticity. IMHO!

* * * * now I'll go look for my coat. * * * *
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 04:24
Originally posted by Quilpusha Quilpusha wrote:

Slight variations in the centering of your embossing, adds to the stamp's appeal and authenticity. IMHO!
I agree Peter.  It makes them much more interesting without having to produce intentional "errors".

Keith
Tom View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 02:14
I apologize on the paper... you're right though, it's clearly not period (nor the use of ball-point-pen!) But I should really let you in on the joke here... because what I'm really doing is poking fun at some former associates in the mining/mineral exploration business. (which is my "real" job) 

As it happens, there is a HUGE amount of scamming going on in mineral exploration. I think the percentage of exploration companies that are really in the business for finding minerals is probably less than 5%. The rest are in the business of APPEARING to hunt for minerals while they sell and manipulate stock and bilk investors.  They will start a new company and issue BILLIONS of shares of stock. The money that comes in is SUPPOSED to be used for things like surveying and sampling and drilling... but of course... what with the private jets and Las Vegas prostitutes and luxury apartments in Zurich... the money just disappears before any actual work can take place. The stock goes to zero, the investors lose everything, and then they do it all over again... dozens, even hundreds of times. 

So here we have the Dread Pirate Roberts... banking on his fame from earlier exploits and selling stock in a venture that (hint hint) is not going to go well. 

But on the embossing itself... the pressure needed is not at all great by coining standards. A wooden lever press with a lever two feet long would be plenty of force for embossing in paper. No big dude with a hammer necessary. A ten year old girl could do this. 

Tom
Tom Maringer
Shire Post
Fantasy coins and stamps
OlFella View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote OlFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2012 at 21:41
Tom,
        Just wanted to let you know the share certificate and stamps have arrived downunder safe and sound..
        great work again
                                   Olfella   aka  Bruce
Also OlFella on http://www.thegomc.com
Tom Foolery View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom Foolery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 09:36
My share turned up this morning in the UK. 
Thats my children's college fund sorted.
O well it could be worse
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 01:50
I hope you are keeping track of how many shares have been issued Tom. It'd be interesting to see what proportion of the 'company' my 1666666668
shares represent.
Tom View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 02:16
Current shares issued is in the range of 330 billion, so 1 2/3 billion is about one half of one percent of the total. Rumor has it that trillion share stamps are being contemplated. 

Tom Maringer
Shire Post
Fantasy coins and stamps
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 02:23
Sell Sell Sell!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>