Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CLASSIC CINDERELLA MYSTERIES - ATLANTIS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrofos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CLASSIC CINDERELLA MYSTERIES - ATLANTIS
    Posted: 31 March 2010 at 21:59

Can anyone furnish more information on the stamps of Atlantis and  its eccentric creator the redoubtable Dane, Captain Mott?

Here is his first "triangular" stamp.   It shows Neptune below a winged crown.  Below this is a picture of Mott and a brochure from a cruise to "Atlantis". 

Edited by ambrofos - 31 March 2010 at 22:04
AMB
ambrofos View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrofos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 22:13
Here is some more information on Mott by his stamp collaborator, the Florida Dealer Bruce Ball.

AMB
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2010 at 11:15
Great posts ambrofos, I love the idea of Atlantis stamps and all of the documention gives it an air of authenticity.
Thanks,
Daniel
Bas S Warwick View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2010 at 17:46
Originally posted by ambrofos ambrofos wrote:

Can anyone furnish more information on the stamps of Atlantis and  its eccentric creator the redoubtable Dane, Captain Mott?

You can find a little more info here

http://www.cinderellas.info/columns/Atlantis/index.html
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 08:01
The CSC auction lists arrived today. In the listings for the October room and postal auction is lot 358 is what is described as the 'key' collection of Atlantis philately. Said to have been acquired originally from Mott its an exhibition style collection on 27 sheets complete with explanations of Cpt Mott and newspaper articles.

The auction is only open to CSC members and the reserve is £600
pelamo View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote pelamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 10:42

The found of Atlantis Principality was Aage Johannes Larsen Mott. He was my grandfather's younger brother. They, as I was, were born in Denmark. They both emigrated to the US in 1899 when they were 15 and 18. My grandfather later returned to DK in 1920 were he spent the remaineder of his life  

The CL Mott mentioned in this forum was my great-grand father. Although CL Mott was appointed Prince of Atlantis he and his wife, my great-grand mother never left Denmark to visit his "principality". My great-grand parents are the two people on the Atlantis stamps
I have published our family history on http:\\members.shaw.ca\pelamo
You will find letters from Johannes to the family in Denmark on the pages as well as a number of photos of him and his family. The letters are written in Danish, but the transcripts can be translated via Google translate

Regards,
Jan Mott
Victoria BC
Bas S Warwick View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 12:52
Pelamo - amazing
If you have more info please share with us.
Thanks

Quilpusha View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Quilpusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 19:50

. . . while this doesn't interest me one dot, I am delighted for those of you who are.

What a brilliant story. Smile
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 20:47
I only wish I could have afforded to bid on the CSC auction, these cinderellas and information are amongst the best produced and most comprehensively disseminated, and I am so pleased to see we have a family member on our forum to tell us more about them.

The commitment and consistency of thought required to perpetrate this degree of believability, the detail, the research, the design and artisttry, and all wthout the technical aids we have now - no computer technology, no websites, search SEO etc - and no popular book to piggy-back the backstory on (and I allude to CS Lewis there as well as Pratchett!) it really was a labour of love.

Thank you for joining our forum Pelamo and please, please tell us all more.  

My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 09:14
What I love about this forum is that as well as seeing lots of stamps from enthusiasts who are just starting out we also have stamps such as these and Gerald King's to enjoy. 

It just goes to show that nothing is new though, these designs would look just as at home on Keith's website as more modern designs.  Although I think its the first time I have seen an embossed stamp on this forum. That must have been so difficult, and expensive, to have made and printed all those years ago, but so effective and so convincing.

If anyone has any other examples of stamps of this quality please post them up for us all to see.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>