Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rarest of the Rare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Rarest of the Rare
    Posted: 23 January 2011 at 17:45
The Very Rarest Discworld Stamps & Labels

This is a duplicate of a thread I started on the Cunning Artificer forum. Perhaps it may interest members of this forum, and perhaps some of the members here might be able to set me straight on any mistakes that I may have made, and help me fine up the details
Here’s a list of the rarest of the rare. These stamps represent the "Holy Grail Quest" of Flataly, and if ever located on the open market are likely to be the most expensive items to buy. I’ve done my best to research the rarity of these stamps and give the best available estimate of the number that were released or subsequently escaped from the Emporium. If any of you know better, or can provide a more accurate estimate, Please PM me or comment on the thread. Likewise please remind me of any of the rarest stamps or labels that I might have forgotten. Though there are many other very rare Discworld stamps I’m really concentrating on stamps of which only 100 or fewer are thought to exist. There may be instances of sheets of some of these stamps in some very lucky or well connected peoples collections, but as these sheets are extremely unlikely to ever be split up I am ignoring them for the purposes of this list. The Old hands on the forum will be aware of these, and probably several other rarities that I've forgotten. This list is really for the benefit of comparative newcomers to the world of Flataly.

SHS-GE0208-Dw 1$ Genua Specimen Overprint Sport Only 1 is thought to exist
SHD-RW0025-Bw 1P Dirigible Sport Only 2 are thought to Exist
SHS-AM0014-Dw Assassins Guild Three Pence "Oops" (Zombie Back Print) Only 2 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0148-Bw Farthing Seamstress Postage Paid Sport (three stars around Lamp)Only 9 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0008-Bb/Bw $5 Blue Triangle Sport (Bath and Wincanton perforation) Only 10 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0167-Bw $1 Bank Triangle Only 10 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0235-Bw $5 Hubwards Gate Triangle Only 10 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0156-Fw 5P Hogswatch Sport Tryptich Left Piece Only 10 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0156-Gw 5P Hogswatch Sport Tryptich Middle Piece Only 10 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0156-Hw 5P Hogswatch Sport Tryptich Right Piece Only 10 are thought to exist
SHD-RW0004-Af Wincanton Wrinkley Only 12 are thought to exist
Unlisted 1$ Green Tower of Art Open Door Sport (Not officially released) Only 12 Pairs are thought to exist
SHS-SH0083-Bw 5P Green Susan Sport Only 12 are thought to exist
SHD-RW0025-Aw 1P Dirigible Only 18 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0095-Dw 5P Morporkia Plum Sport Gum Fronted Only 15 - 20 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0094-Dw 10P Morporkia Brown Sport Gum Fronted Only 15 - 20 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0174-Bw Postage Due 3P Sport Only 20 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0011-Am 50P Cabbage Field Skunk Sport (In Jar) Only 23 are thought to exist
SHS-GE0208-Cw 1$ Genua Specimen Overprint Only 24 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0145-Bw Postage Due 1P Sport Only 25 are thought to exist
SHT-AM0008-Aw Jamboree Balloon Race Stamp Only 28 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0012-Bw Assassins Post Paid Whiteback Only 40 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0007-Ew 1$ Green Tower of Art Two Horizontal Birds Sport Only 40 are thought to exist
SHT-AM0009-Aw Vetinari Chocolate Stamp (Attached to pain of Pain certificate) Only 56 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0007-Dw 1$ Green Tower of Art Splash second issue Sport Only 60 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0007-Gw 1$ Green Tower of Art Weathervane Sport Only 60 are thought to exist
SHT-RW0011-Bw Twinning Stamp Lilac Only 60 are thought to exist
SHT-RW0011-Cw Twinning Stamp Green Only 60 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0007-Fw 1$ Green Tower of Art One Horizontal Bird Sport Only 62 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0043-Bw Hogswatch 2005 “Fifty Pence” Sport Only 62 are thought to exist
SHD-WF0006-Cw Wadfest 2006 Sport Only 64 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0080-Cw Anoia Overprint : For Ecclesiastical Use Only Only 70 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0015-Cw Farthing Merchants Guild Overprinted for Corksock's Natty Clothing Flyer Only 70 are thought to exist 
SHD-RW0014-Aw Klatchian Foreign Legion (Type 1 Brown on Yellow) Only 75 are thought to exist
SHS-UB0063-Ar Red Rat Stamp Raisin Only 80 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0159-Bw Initial Penny Patricians Pensive Hare Sport Only 80 are thought to exist
SHS-UB0064-Ar Red Rat Stamp Potato Only 80 are thought to exist
SHS-UB0065-Ar Red Rat Stamp Candle Only 80 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0006-Cw 10P Morporkia Green Overprint : Clerk of Works (dribbled on by Toads letter) Only 90 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0156-Cw 5P Hogswatch Tryptich Left Piece Only 90 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0156-Dw 5P Hogswatch Tryptich Middle Piece Only 90 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0156-Ew 5P Hogswatch Tryptich Right Piece Only 90 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0020-Bw Penny Patrician Civic Sport (Twisted V) Only 100 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0136-Bw Postage Due 4P Sport Only 100 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0175-Cw Alchemists Penny Farthing Gold on Lead Only 100 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0084-Bw Seamstress 2P Plum Perforation Sport Only 100 are thought to exist
SHS-LA0054-Au Lancre $1 Ogg Only 100 are thought to exist (in 10 different Varieties)
SHS-RW0019-Aw Penny Patrician Red Nose Sport Only 100 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0202-Cw 10P Morporkia (YTHG) Overprinted 12P (Boffo Mail Order Pack) Only 100 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0231-Cw $2 Merchants Guild Civic with Solid Jackson Label Only 100 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0231-Bw $2 Merchants Guild Civic with Boffo Label Only 100 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0132-Bw Guild of Heralds Y Front Sport Only 100 are thought to exist
SHS-AM0144-Aw $1 Post Office Clax Mail Only 100 are thought to exist
Unlisted 10P Morporkia Green, Hand revalued to 3P (1st Letter to Pseudopolis) Only 100 are thought to exist
Unlisted 10P Morporkia Green Overprinted "The Assembly and Peoples of Pseudopolis" (3rd Letter to Pseudopolis) Only 100 are thought to exist
Unlisted "Truly Madly Pensively" Red Nosed Hare (Comic Relief) Only 100 are thought to exist

Other very rare stamps include the following. If anyone can tell me how many of these are thought to exist I’d be very grateful.

SHS-AM0001-Ab ½ P Post Office Red Bath perforation
SHS-AM0003-Ab Penny Patrician Bath perforation
SHS-AM0004-Ab Ankh 2P Plum Bath perforation
SHS-AM0005-Ab Ankh 5P Blue Bath perforation
SHS-AM0006-Ab Ankh 10P Green Bath perforation
SHS-AM0002-Ab Eminence Gris Bath Perforation
SHS-AM0007-Bb Green Tower of Art Falling Man 1 Bath Perforation
SHS-AM0007-Cb Green Tower of Art Splash 1 Bath Perforation
SHS-AM0036-Aw Patrician Two Pence Red
SHS-AM0010-Aw Penny Patrician Red
SHS_AM0070-Aw Penny Patrician Green
SHS-AM0157-Cw Postage Due “Tilted 2” Sport
SHS-AM0158-Bw 2 ½ P Virtual Added Tax Sport
SHS-AM0028-Cw Seamstress 2P Pink Ink Sport (Un-inked Corner) 
SHS-AM0084-Dw Seamstress 2P Plum Ink Sport (Un-inked Corner)
SHS-LA0211-Bw Lancre $1 Post Paid Clax Sport Brown 
SHS-PS0214-Bw Psuedopolis $1 Post Paid Clax Sport Green
SHS-KV0221-Bw Koom Valley $1 Post Paid Clax Sport Red 
Unlisted Discworld Convention 2006 Committee Stamp
SHD-RW0014-Bw Klatchian Foreign Legion (Type 2 Brown on Ochre)
SHD-RW0014-Cw Klatchian Foreign Legion (Type 3 Brown on Yellow and White)
SHS-AM0156-Aw Hogswatch 2008 Tryptich common
SHS-UB0063-Bx Green Rat Raisin Wrinkly Perforation
SHS-UB0064-BX Green Rat Potato Wrinkly Perforation
SHS-UB0065-BX Green Rat Candle Wrinkly Perforation
SHD-RW0007-Aw Da Vinci Cod
SHS-AM0069-Aw Cabbage Seed Substitute
SHS-AM0012-Dw Assassins Guild Post Paid Whiteback with Vine
SHS-AM0012-Ew Assassins Guild Post Paid 3P Overprint
SHS-BO0087-Bw through to Hw 1 Bizot Bonk Werewolf Transformation Sports Opinions seem to vary as to weather these were included in every 5 LBE's or in every 50 LBE's 

Here are the Rarest Sheets that I have been able to identify. This section needs a lot more work. I haven't made any real attempt to place these in order, because until I can get more information on the quantities of each sheet there's not really much point. This section is a work in progress (as is the entire list really). If you know how many of each sheet was available, Please post on the thread. Some of my totals may be wildly inaccurate. In due course I'll add a section on strips of stamps, but this exercise is taking a lot longer than I had thought... (Mostly looking up the Stanley Howler numbers).

Many of sheets were only available as prizes from Limited edition LBE's, Wincanton event's and auctions, Wadfest auctions, and Discworld Conventions. I have located the prize lists from the following events but if any of you good people have copies of any other prize lists please PM them to me. They would be of great help in arriving at correct totals for some of the rare sheets below. 
I have in hand: May Races 2008, Discworld Convention 2008, Hogswatch 2008, 5th Birthday Bash (2009), Hogswatch 2009, Mayday Morris 2010

SHE-AM0075-Am Cabbage Green Year 1 Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-AM0017-Aw 1P Duty Paid Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-AM0028-Bw Fifty Pence 2005 Hogswatch Sport Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-RW0053-Aw Discworld Convention 2006 Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-RW0054-Aw Wadfest 2006 Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-RW0055-Aw Forum 1st Anniversary Only 1 thought to exist
SHE- AM0097-Aw 3P Post Box Commemorative Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-AM0057-Bw Hogswatch 2006 2 ½ P Ice Rose Sport Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-AM0058-Bw Hogswatch 2006 5P Snowman Sport Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-AM0075-Aw Tower of Art Brown (18) Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-AM0136-Aw 4P Postage Due Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-AM0180-Aw 5P Postage Due Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-AM0108-Aw Black on Black Vetinari from Pain of Pain Certificate Only 1 thought to exist 
SHE-AM0076-Aw 5P Duty Paid Only 2 thought to exist (One of these was overprinted “Guild of Heralds”)
SHE-AM0035-Am 50P Flagrant Cabbage Only 2 thought to exist
SHE-AM0006-Aw Tower of Art year 1 Only 3 thought to exist
SHE-AM0007-Aw 3P Hogswatch year Portrait 1 Only 50 of both Portrait and Landscape thought to exist
SHE-AM0007-Bw 3P Hogswatch year Landscape 1 Only 50 of both Portrait and Landscape thought to exist
SHE-RW0098-Aw Blue Bernard Only 100 thought to exist
SHE-AM0115-Aw Penny Prayer Only 100 thought to exist
SHE-BO0087-Cw 1 Bizot Bonk Werewolf Transfiguration Sport 2 Only 1 thought to exist 
SHE-BO0087-Hw 1 Bizot Bonk Werewolf Transfiguration Sport 7 Only 1 thought to exist 
SHE-AM0197-Aw 1P Goddess Petulia Only 10 are thought to exist
SHE-AM0209-Aw Quarter Farthing Fools Guild postage paid
SHE-AM0182-Ab 5th Birthday Penny Patricians Bath Perforation Only 1 thought to exist 
SHE-LA0211-Aw Lancre $1 Clax Post Paid Brown Only 10 are thought to exist
SHE-PS0214-Aw Psuedopolis $1Clax Post Paid Green Only 10 are thought to exist
SHE-KV0221-Aw Koom Valley $1 Clax Post Paid Red Only 10 are thought to exist
SHE-AM0218-Aw Mini sheet of green Thieves Guild stamps –for approval Only 5 are thought to exist
SHE-RW0025-Aw Dirigible Post Produced August 2008 for Temporary post master Capt. Per Stalby. Only 1 thought to exist 
SHE-AM0213-Aw The Patrician Moves sheet
SHE-AM0230-Aw 
Halfpenny Foxy Variant Special sheet (6 columns 3 rows) Only 8 thought to exist
SHE-AM0179-Aw ½ P Engravers Guild Ungummed 
SHE-AM0021-Bw 2P Seamstress Guild Pink Ink Sport 
SHE-AM0059-Bw 2P Seamstress Guild Plum Ink Sport
SHE-FO0090-Aw Owlswick Jenkins ½ P Post office Forgery Minisheet/Block of 4
SHE-AM0220-Aw Penny Patrician 6th Birthday (Blue)
SHE-AM0215-Aw Glorious 25th of May Penny Patrician Lilac
SHE-RW0011-Aw Cunning Artificers Birthday Shield Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-RW0006-Aw Stanley Gibbons 150th Anniversary Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-AM0122-Bw Guild of Heralds Y-front Sport Only 1 thought to exist
SHE-AM0005-Ad 5P Morporkia Blue Digital Print Only 1 thought to exist
Unlisted Yellow Perforator Stamps Only 1 thought to exist
Unlisted Ramoth of Pern Only 1 thought to exist
Unlisted Quantum Butterfly Only 1 thought to exist 
Unlisted Tower of Art 2007 including all 3 Sports & 6 Penny Patrician “Alice” Sports Only 1 thought to exist
Unlisted Here Be Dragons Only 100 thought to exist
Unlisted Ghost sheet of TOA stamps (Hogswatch 2009 Prize) Only 1 thought to exist 
Unlisted Irish Convention
Unlisted Stamp magazine 75th birthday stamps Only 1 thought to exist
Unlisted Oversized Assassin’s Guild re-print stamps (never released)
Unlisted Sunshine Somerset stamps 2006. Used on Wincanton Postcards 
Unlisted Assassin’s Guild re-print stamps never released
Unlisted 2010 Convention Sheet
Unlisted The Uberwald Convention stamp sheet Only 30 thought to exist

Here is the start of a section on Proof sheets. I've got to confess that I know little or nothing about Proof sheets, having done no research on them at all. I'm going to need a lot of help with this section. In fact, I really need some kindly expert on proof sheets to fill in this section. 

SHP-AM0006-An (?)Proof sheet of the Zombie with the bottom 3 rows overprinted 3p Only 40 thought to exist
Unlisted The Uberwald Convention proof sheet Only 20 thought to exist

I must confess that I didn't quite realise the size, complexity, and difficulty of the task that I have undertaken when I first started listing these rarities. It has proved to be far more time consuming than I envisaged.  I can only ask you all to be patient with me and to regard this as a work in  progress. In the words of the gallant Captain Oats "I may be some time" 
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2011 at 21:01

I know there are definitely undiscovered rarities from the first four years still undiscovered out there that would definitely make your list, but as many of these will now have been traded in under the shop's Trading scheme I have always taken the view that it is better now to keep quiet about them.   Wacko

My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 01:39
Oooooh Do Tell... some of us may still have them in our stockbooks!
Other newer collectors, (like me) could still marvel at the level of ingenuity that managed to produce sports and variants so subtle that they have gone undetected thus far.
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 02:22
No - I won't tell. Much more fun to let them be found by a collector.  And all the more fun to let a future generation of collectors find them. 

Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 04:23
That's just cruel Colin.  I think you are making it up!  Prove it if you are not.

That is a depressing list though, even without Colin pretending that there are more.  I recently bought a 2005 Hogswatch sheet of "The Cunning Artificer's Sticky Bits" This is a sheet of 16 of the two rejected 2005 designs (Death of Rats and the Raven).  Is that rare (it cost me a fair bit) or does everyone already have one except me?  Should it be on the lists above or doesn't it count?

Keith
Anne View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 05:09
I don't think those sheets was rare when they came out. But they may be now, at least if many people did what I did and broke them up to use on Hogswatch/Christmas cards. (I my defence, I considered/ still consider them stickers rather than "real discworld stamps". And I did make sure to keep at least one of every individual sticker design.)
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 06:02
Hi Keith - Now this is a bit of a memory test  but...  the Sticky bits label sheets were devised (as opposed to designed) to use the surplus artwork left over when Terry decided that three stamps would be too many for 2005's collectors to buy (obviously that principle had gone out of the window by the time of the Beach Towel Hogswatch stamp came along!) so the 1p and 2p designs I had produced as a triptych were turned into labels instead and were iirc sprinkled with glitter too as there were worries that they wouldn't sell. 

I came up with some words for the Quoth and Raven stamps to fill top and bottom where the stamp value and Ankh-Morpork were intended to go and rebooted them as labels.

Then came the final ingredient of the Christmas pudding was that Terry then decided he wanted 50p in numbers instead of words - so the remaining original design had to be altered.

By this time I had already printed the One Penny, Two Penny and Fifty Pence versions of the three stamps and posted these to the shop. As it was getting close to launch (and unbeknown to me at the time) the original Fifty Pence design became a sport version of the new 50p - and some of the perforated original One Penny and Two Penny stampsheets were returned to me rather than thrown away. Presumably the shop still have all the others. 

By the way, a while back I put some of the loose 1p and 2p pairs and singles on eBay and was accused by the shop, on their forum, of 'reconstructing' these from the old 50p artwork!  Anyone who looked closely would have realised that as they had actually been perforated at the shop, it was obvious that Bernard knew all about them and had been complicit in their production. What tosh - according to the forum message I was going to be spoken to, apparently, but nothing happened so I can only assume their collective memories cleared!

Anyway, sorry Keith, short answer is if they are 'Sticky Bits' they are relatively worthless, if they are 1p and 2p (but I don't remember seeing any sheets of 16 unless Bernard has sold them or given them away at an auction) then they are rare and worth whatever someone else will pay for them - but as historical items not as Discworld stamps as they were never released as such.

As far as the list above goes, I think the accepted wisdom on the CA forum is that if they were not originally available from the shop in Wincanton then they are not officially 'Discworld' so Charles has sensibly chosen to leave the 1p and 2p designs that have leaked out off his list. 

I always thought Discworld stamps were supposed to emanate from Ankh-Morpork, or at the very least, originating from Terry Pratchett or his books - but it now seems that a Discworld stamp can be created as the result of an opinion poll by collectors, even the decision about printing definitives this year; it doesn't seem right to me, but I wouldn't expect anyone else to agree!  Of course, I am biased  Clown

Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 06:09
Apologies Keith - it took so long to reply that Anne got her more succint response in first!

I think this could be a useful thread for collectors here to add to, and would encourage everyone to make the most of it...

I will have a think about what short-run items we produced, that everyone knew about, that ought to go on the list...

And by the way Charles - great work! That must have taken you ages...  Like Steve James DW stamp history website it makes me wonder why the shop do not already have this sort of information available for their collectors, surely they are the best qualified to produce it?  What would they do there without people like you, Steve James, Kel and Doc?

Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 06:12
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

That's just cruel Colin.  I think you are making it up!  Prove it if you are not.

Keith - you wouldn't believe me if I told you.  I suppose I could bring along some evidence to Stampex... what's it worth?! 

Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 06:58
Sometimes I get the impression that the Colin Edwards on this forum isn't the same one who designed the Discworld stamps! He is so secretive (remember the question of the Discworld stamp printers) and worse, he drops hints of unknown sports and then refuses to expound on the subject!

I suggest that those of us going to Stampex bring our entire Discworld collections along, including all spares, and force him to go through them all until he tells us what these newly revealed stamps are supposed to beSmile

As far as the 'sticky bits' labels are concerned, there were two different sheets of these and I would say that they are relatively rare and are worth perhaps £30+ for the pair. Also, I would point out that whether they are Discworld stamps or Discworld labels, they are all Cinderellas and whereas some may not collect the labels others do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>