Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discworld stamps (page1)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discworld stamps (page1)
    Posted: 30 March 2010 at 04:43
#1 2010-01-21 05:24:37

Colin Edwards
    Recorded

Discworld Stamps

I have never wanted to be the one to actually suggest this myself BUT why has no-one here started a thread to discuss Discworld Stamps?

They are perfectly valid as examples of cinderellas and there are various people here who still regularly collect them.

With the imminent release of the new commons for the new year and the upcoming showing of 'Going Postal' on TV there should be plenty to talk about.

These stamps are regularly advertised in popular magazines, and have been discussed in Club articles too - so why bot discuss them here? It might even help add credibility to get them back into Wikipedia?

We could even give them a section of their own if it proved popular.

Just a thought :-)

#2 2010-01-21 07:06:01

Keith
    Recorded

Re: Discworld Stamps

Well maybe none of us wanted to be the one to actually suggest it either.

There is of course already a forum for discussing them although I think it is getting much less active  in the stamp discussion area than it used to be and maybe the folk who are interested in them as cinderellas should migrate to here.

Keith
To see images and more information about stamps discussed here you should visit http://www.askmeaboutstamps.com/

#3 2010-01-21 07:13:41

Steve
    Recorded

Good point Colin.

Perhaps its because there is already a forum that includes DW stamps as s specific topic. There may be other reasons though. If there is sufficient discussion there should certainly a section for them.

You mentioned the new 'commons'. Did you mean the Ankh-Morpork definitives and their yearly revamp?
If so I will say that this doen't generate as much interest with me as say a totally new issue. Mostly we get a colour change. However there is an exception to this; the $1 Tower of Arts stamp. What new colours will be used and what sports will appear? I got lucky last year. Not only did I get 3 of the sports singly, but also did a trade and got a half sheet with all 5 in a block! I traded 2 of the singles and still have one left for another special trade.
Perhaps now that the 5p and 10p AMs are no longer a single colour there may be some interesting and aesthetically pleasing colour combinations used on these stamps.

#4 2010-01-21 07:30:11

Keith
    Recorded

maybe the folk who are interested in them as cinderellas should migrate to here.

See!  They are starting to appear already.

Keith
To see images and more information about stamps discussed here you should visit http://www.askmeaboutstamps.com/

#5 2010-01-21 09:05:36

Colin Edwards
    Recorded

I realise there is a forum for DW stamps already but it can get a little stilted there when contributors hear stories of posts being edited, withdrawals of threads etc - or calls to forum members at dead of night because of something they have inncoently written...

The definitives might previously have only been a colour change but the recent newsletter from the shop claimed that they had been working on them for two months so a quick colour change sounds out of the question.

Hopefully this year's will be an improvement on last year's efforts bearing in mind they will be the backbone of any LBE sales that might support the publicity for the stamps following the Going Postal movie and DW stamps are in the full focus of the media.

Of course I am slightly biased here so take my comments with a pinch of salt ...

#6 2010-01-21 09:12:06

Steve
    Recorded

Just a thought, but will there be a blue triangle mention in the film as per the book? That would require a new version of that stamp so as to give new punters the lure of getting one.

#7 2010-01-21 09:24:16

Keith
    Recorded

give new punters the lure of getting one.

I was going to lure them with the one in my collection.  I don't want any suggestion of cheap reprints flooding the market!

Keith

#8 2010-01-21 09:30:34

Colin Edwards
    Recorded

I wouldn't have thought a new BT would be a good thing as the effect of upsetting the established collectors iincluding Terry, who recognise what they see as THE Blue Triangle would be much worse than upsetting the newbies.

The Blue Triangle is quite unique for being mentioned in two books iirc - the standard stamp in GP and the sport in Thud!

It appears on the inside cover of the hardback and has become almost an icon of collectability for the stamps so a bit daft to go fiddling with it now.  But dafter things have happened.

About time a new $5 stamp appeared though don't you think?  The old purple stamp still appears on the shop website and no-one seems to have spotted that it is actually a prototype design with the illustration not filling out the background of the stamp frame.  Keen collectors might like to save right click and save the picture for their albums :-)  At least it shows that the shop have copies of classic artwork they can access, even if they seem to have problems recognising the differences between the finished stamp and work in progress.

#9 2010-01-21 09:34:21

Colin Edwards
    Recorded

Where is the prototype Purple Triangle on the shop website?

Sorry.

Characteristically it is on the page which is supposed to be about LBEs...

Now that I have flagged it up I don't suppose it will be there for long!!

#10 2010-01-21 09:39:49

Keith
    Recorded

Got it!

#11 2010-01-22 06:11:16

Colin Edwards
    Recorded

btw - I can't remember if anyone ever made a song and dance about the revised versions we printed of the Blue Triangle and Purple Triangle that included post boxes?

Has anyone spotted those?

I am so out of touch now, must go check on MadFans...

#12 2010-01-22 07:11:39

Steve
    Recorded

Colin, I was unaware of revised versions with postboxes or anything else. I am virtually certain that this is not on Madfans nor the DWstamplist spreadsheet. I have read much of the Stamps section on the other forum and not read a sausage about reprints yet alone a song and dance made of them.
I would like to see the differences and see whether I have first or revised printings.

#13 2010-01-22 07:12:42

Steve
    Recorded

... and I await further revalations !

#14 2010-01-22 08:48:00

Colin Edwards
    Recorded

Ok, so probably being a little bit cheeky there, but thought it might be fun. We printed them but they were never perfed or released as actual stamps.  You'll have to look on the Cut Out and Make Post Box pages for them - both the stamps shown have Post Boxes hidden in them.  Also the page shows that the $1 Tower of Art stamp artwork was rehashed to become the souvenir Red Post Box stamp given away with the Cut Out kit. At the time it was the only example of artwork cannibalism from one design to another - although since then it has happened again on the Hogswatch 'Beach Towel' thing.

Happy days!

#15 2010-01-23 15:00:45

Steve
    Recorded

Nice story Colin, albeit a short one.
I doubt anyone had studied those images carefully enough to notice the additional post boxes. I decided to keep my kit intact so its still in the packet with the sheet with the stamp images unexposed.
Interesting to see you used an original stamp and a craft knife to mock up the post box stamp. I assumed you'd beaver away on your Mac to do that.

#16 2010-01-24 16:44:10

Steve
    Recorded

If anyone is a fan of old Post Boxes like the cut-out model there is an 1863 model relocated to the Albert Dock in Liverpool. Its in use.

#17 2010-01-26 09:08:22

Colin Edwards
    Recorded

The Post Box we based the Ankh Morpork collection box on is a mix of one in Norwich opposite the City Hall, and one in Great Yarmouth in the market place.

There are inevitably other links between stampy stuff and East Anglian architecture. The bridge used for the Purple triangle is the Bishops Bridge, Norwich (with additions based on the Bridge Across the Ankh model made by Clarecraft) and the Ankh Morpork Post Office building is based on the Anglia Television building in the city centre - which used to be the central post office.  If I can think of any others I will jot them down.

#18 2010-01-26 09:11:48

Colin Edwards
    Recorded

So...

Should we start a separate heading for Discworld stamps related discussion or should we just keep this one thread poddling along?  Up to you?!

I know we have lots of lurkers out there from the DW forum - lets hear from you too!

#19 2010-01-26 11:13:01

Susanne
    Registered

Perfect timing!  I've spent the last few evenings getting all of my DW stamps sorted out so that they can go safely into an album (albums?) and be easily admired.  I've got most of Y1 in the album and I've sorted through Y3 I think.  I didn't realize what a massive job this would be!  It is amazing how many stamps and how much variety is in that collection.

Never knew about the differences on the triangles on the postbox card!  Definitely there was never a thread on it.  I would have remembered that.  Mine is still in the pack as well.  Never trusted myself to make it without messing it up.  Same goes for the UU book.

I believe I stopped buying right at the beginning of Y5, I won't know for sure until I'm done sorting.  Thank goodness for Martyn and his spreadsheet!  What a lifesaver!  To be honest the designs and quality of the stamps changed dramatically and they just didn't appeal to me anymore.  My husband, who knows nothing about the stamps can easily pick out the newer ones.

Don't know whether we should keep discussing here or have a seperate section.  Most, if not all, of the discussion on the DW stamps site is exclusively about the newest stamps, so there's not really anything for me to contribute there.  I think it would be great to discuss the collection as a whole and learn more of these wonderful, fun things that aren't public knowledge.

#20 2010-01-26 11:19:29

Steve
    Recorded

At risk of setting a precedent for creating sections for a specific range of stamps I would vote for yes.
If it is poorly used them re-subsume it into Cinderella stamps.
And perhaps use this area for discussions related to the philatelic nature of the subject, which seems to be minority interest 'over there'

Last edited by Steve (2010-01-26 11:19:52)

#21 2010-01-26 12:24:59

Keith
    Recorded

Go on then.  I'll go along with the additional section idea as well.  Can I also suggest that within there we set up a thread for each issue.  That way it'll be easy to access the bit one wants.

...and Colin has to braindump everything he remembers.    The additional info about the design influences will help everyone flesh out their collections - for instance you could add a photo of the Norwich bridge Colin mentions.

Does anyone know the mail address for David Waskett (majorboodnok of the discworld forum)?  He'd love to join in I'm sure having been instrumental in getting DW stamps into the British Library.  He made it to the status of Roving Reporter for the Stanley Howler journal number 14 but disappeared without trace by number 15.  But I've eaten his e-mail address which I had when we worked together on an article for journal 12.

But I hope a discworld section doesn't swamp the other stuff.  It's been good so far learning about cinderellas in a broad sense and I'd like more of that too - can the lurkers stop lurking and get posting about what they enjoy?  Pretty please!

#22 2010-01-26 13:07:26

Steve
    Recorded

of course some of the lurkers would have to register to contribute

#23 2010-01-26 13:27:18

Susanne
    Registered

of course some of the lurkers would have to register to contribute

Perhaps if they could only see the DW section by registering? Kidding!!!

#24 2010-01-26 13:28:26

Susanne
    Registered

Keith, put up a thread on the other forum in the KT section.  Someone's bound to have his contact info, or he may even still be lurking there himself.

#25 2010-01-26 14:00:51

Steve
    Recorded

Keith, put up a thread on the other forum in the KT section.  Someone's bound to have his contact info, or he may even still be lurking there himself.

majorbloodnock last looked in on the feast of Dec 16 2009

not so long ago
Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 18:08
I think that a section on Discworld stamps would be an excellent idea. It's got my vote.
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 12:29
Originally posted by Murgatroyd Murgatroyd wrote:

I think that a section on Discworld stamps would be an excellent idea. It's got my vote.

One of us should start a topic on these, or pose a question. If no posts or threads there can't be a section. I have been trying to think of a topic that is best discussed here and wouldn't be more appropriate somewhere else. And a serious philatelic (as opposed to flatatelic) topic to boot.
wilfred View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote wilfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 01:27
How about a stamp album topic? I know there are some albums made, and I have just finished the first twenty pages of mine, but there are hardly any pictures and what there is is scattered all over the place. It would be nice to have it all together, and also give other collectors some ideas if they
want to start their own  
looking for the middle sport of the hogswatch tryptich
Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 03:01
Great Idea... I can testify that Wilfred's album pages are absolutely beautiful, as he's been kind enough to send me some scans of them. I'm sure that the other guys on the board would love to see them.
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
wilfred View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote wilfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 12:05

Hi All,put the first pages on photobucket, here: 

http://s735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/wilfred_01_stamps/discworld%20stamp%20album/

hope you like them

looking for the middle sport of the hogswatch tryptich
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 12:57
Originally posted by wilfred wilfred wrote:

Hi All,put the first pages on photobucket, here: 

http://s735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/wilfred_01_stamps/discworld%20stamp%20album/

hope you like them

Just had the briefest of looks Wilfred but those pages are really really good. I have done my own pages for much of the DW output but not to that standard. Now you have made me think "do I do it all over again and try to match you". You certainly have added to what were already great stamps and put them in a setting they deserve.

I could try a similar approach to My Welsh Oddities at least. You have inspired me.

Anne View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2010 at 00:42
Very impressive! I too am tempted to do my Discworld album over, as yours makes mine look very boring.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 02:08
I am so surprised to find out that this forum was started by the same Colin and Alan who designed and drew the original Discworld Stamps artwork. I have been dipping in to this forum but not noticed this thread before and don't know how I missed it before.  I just hadn't made the link.  And Hilary Daniels from the shop too.

Does anyone have a picture of the Blue Triangle with the added post box, or the purple triangle?  I must check the shop website.

Wilfred your album pages are amazing.  My stamps are just in a stockbook. Where do you find the time?

What talented people there are here!  And its reassuring to see I am not the only person who lost interest around Year 5.
gonarain View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote gonarain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 13:55
That's the nicest album i have seen so far, very great work.

Smile

Smile
not so bright, so explain a lot please.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>