Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discworld stamps (page1)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2010 at 04:49
Those sheets on sale have taken off price wise with 2 hours still to go. I suspect that someone has put a not-going-to-be-beaten bid in on them.
Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2010 at 05:00
Yes... I'm glad to see that someone out there appreciates their true value. All the items that I wanted to bid on tonight have gone over my limits... I have a set of the gum fronted sheets but I was very interested in the St Hilary sheets and the $5 Merchants Guild sport proof. 
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Skaven View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2010 at 09:53
TBH I was only looking at the sheets to obtain the Sports, but they went way over what I'd want to pay.

I used to get excited about the arrival of new LBE's but I've had such rotten luck at finding the sports and prizes I'm a little underwhelmed  nowadays. Especially when you see the same people getting the prize tickets and sports from each issue time an time again Confused

Edited by Skaven - 23 October 2010 at 09:54
Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2010 at 18:13
That's always puzzled me a bit... I guess they buy so many LBE's that they are bound to find a few sports and prizes.
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Hilary View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 07:24
Originally posted by Murgatroyd Murgatroyd wrote:

Yes... I'm glad to see that someone out there appreciates their true value. All the items that I wanted to bid on tonight have gone over my limits... I have a set of the gum fronted sheets but I was very interested in the St Hilary sheets and the $5 Merchants Guild sport proof. 

Not even St Hilary has a sheet of St Hilary.  Perhaps I should be demanding a royalty!
With a memory full of ships, and seas, and perilous headlands, and the shining Pharos, he must apply his long sighted eyes to the petty niceties of drawing. - Robert Louis Stevenson
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 07:41
Demanding? That's not very saintly.

Could you demand a royalty from an eBay seller?  You could always try bidding, or just be patient until the prices get lower...  or design a Pharos St. Hilary   Wink
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 07:50
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

But they are rarer than most of the sports! Why do all the sports get the limelight?

When we first started the stamps the sports were just an occasional occurrence, thrown in for fun, and not a given feature of every sheet.

Now that every sheet, or every issue, has a compulsory sport, doesn't that detract from the original concept?

I thought sports evolved because in Going Postal, Terry's original stamps transformed and morphed through thaumic resonance (I can't remember the exact expression, but that sounds about right!) - and that inspired the addition of the occasional morphed extra on a sheet, which became the sport.

Now every stamp released, whether it is LBE only, a shop cinderella or a DW issue, seems to have a sport. 

I am of divided opinion on this issue of sports Colin. On the one hand I agree that having a sport on each sheet goes against the original intentions. That they were to look like a plate setters error, although we all knew they were an intentional 'error' introduced for a bit of fun and to spice up the hobby.
But as an LBE buyer I would hope to get a sport or two out of the small batch I buy.
Finding a balance between these two viewpoints may be a case of 'ypu can't please anyone any of the time'. However by increasing the number of sports and limited editions in the envelopes has possibly led to over-expectation by the buyers. A tactic that leads buyers to trade more in order to get the stamps missing from their collections would find favour with me.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 07:52
Originally posted by Hilary Hilary wrote:

Originally posted by Murgatroyd Murgatroyd wrote:

Not even St Hilary has a sheet of St Hilary.  Perhaps I should be demanding a royalty!

should I used the P word here?

a word of caution St Hilary. I've looked at my sheet and its full of little errors and inconsistencies. There's even one stamp where your halo has slipped!
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 08:05
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

a word of caution St Hilary. I've looked at my sheet and its full of little errors and inconsistencies. There's even one stamp where your halo has slipped!
  Don't call her that!  People have been done away with for less.Ouch

Keith
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2010 at 08:10
I've just been catching up on threads elsewhere on the forum and another member points out that it is always the same people who seem to get the 'goodies' in LBEs.  But surely it comes down to statistics and the more LBEs you buy the better your chances of finding something.  The people who have the best find rate are often the ones who admit to buying 10 or more LBEs at a time so it is hardly surprising that they find more sports or extras.

The way the Discworld stamps are sold dictates their value. Some issues such as the $5 triangles are more restricted than others to increase their rarity, so if sales flag, presumably the shop alter the mix in the LBEs to revive interest.  Has anyone ever found out whether the stamps returned in the GCTS envelopes are destroyed or are they recycled into new LBEs?  With such a turnover of LBEs being bought and returned to the shop perhaps there might be fewer stamps in circulation than we thought.

As a stamp collector I would actually like to see some 'used' examples (and I don't mean stamps that have been freshly cancelled) such as stuck to paper, torn off their backing, or a bit blemished or even sticky!  Scratch and sniff? Old pipe tobacco?  Finger printed.

When I used to buy kiloware my Mum would make me wash my hands whenever I touched my stamp collection because she thought that something licked years earlier by a stranger housed all sorts of potential ills. Yet something from gruesome Ankh-Morpork arrives fresh and spotlessly clean. My Mum would approve but I don't. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>