Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discworld stamps (page1)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 18:56
Great Album Wilfred, my stock books pale into insignificance after seeing that 
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 23:50
Just a thought.

Why is that the Discworld commons that were accidentally printed on the gum side are so poorly valued by collectors?

I can remember the panic at the shop when I was sent the samples I normally get of each stamp perfed and I was shocked to find that the stamps were glossy not the usual matt - it still took me a while to work it out before I rang the shop to tell them. I also rang the printers straight away and they were just as shocked and sent me some samples just to confirm the situation.

By that time the shop had torn up lots of sheets of stamps and separated the 10p and 5p sports. Some whole sheets had been sent out and some singles in LBEs. But apparently only a very few.

So these stamps should be rare as hens teeth and yet so few sell well or trade well on the secondary market.

You often see the common singles incorrectly described as sports when they are actually 'proper' errors (and one of the few examples of true Discworld errors) and were not actually devised to be available printed on the gum side, so not a 'sport'.  Yet the few 5p and 10p sports of the gum-fronted stamps that appear for sale are not valued highly, selling for the same price as the gumfronted commons. I have seen the true sports sell for less than their commons counterparts described as sports.

So why is this? Were more released by the shop than is commonly believed and everyone already has them in their collections?  Are they just not as attractive as the more glamorous Green Susan and Blue Triangle sports?  Do not show up on collector's radar in the same way.  I just don't get it.

I do know that the majority of the stamps were sent back to the printers to be destroyed - and were weighed to make sure that the majority of the order had been returned before they reprinted - so there cannot be many (sheets or singles) in circulation.  Yet they remain undervalued - a cinderella of a cinderella!

Any thoughts?

My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

gonarain View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote gonarain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 23:57
imo probably because people don't consider them as "sport" and don't do the maths so as nobody tell them they are rare they don't realize it.

But may be different reasons too.
Smile
not so bright, so explain a lot please.
Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 00:18
I love them... they embody Murphy's law... 
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 01:41
But they are rarer than most of the sports! Why do all the sports get the limelight?

When we first started the stamps the sports were just an occasional occurrence, thrown in for fun, and not a given feature of every sheet.

Now that every sheet, or every issue, has a compulsory sport, doesn't that detract from the original concept?

I thought sports evolved because in Going Postal, Terry's original stamps transformed and morphed through thaumic resonance (I can't remember the exact expression, but that sounds about right!) - and that inspired the addition of the occasional morphed extra on a sheet, which became the sport.

Now every stamp released, whether it is LBE only, a shop cinderella or a DW issue, seems to have a sport. 

Anne View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 01:46
I don't know if anyone knows the exact numbers that were sent out of these. On the Other forum the number 16 of each has been sugested. However, I have a feeling they are a more common than the Blue Triangle and Green Susan sports. Quite a lot of people do seem to have a set. I got one on e-bay earlier this year, and so did at least two other people. The others don't come up anywhere near that much.

And even if the number 16 is correct, that is in addition to the ones on the gum fronted sheets that also escaped. Many people, my self included, will consider that they already have a copy of the sport if they have it on the sheet. So although it is still nice to have a "loose" one to put in the album, I would pay a lot less for that than for a sport that is only available as a single from the LBEs.
Anne View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 01:52
Just saw your post Colin.
I see your point about every issue having a sport. In a way it makes them less special. However, when I open an LBE, the fun part is checking every stamp to see if it is the sport- and remembering all the different ones and what to look for. It's about the hunt. Stamps that don't have a sport (the one that springs to mind is the greengrocers one) are just not as interesting. When you have seen one you have seen them all.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 02:04
hi Anne!

I understand the joy of the LBE hunt - but isn't it normal for sheets to be released after the LBE that contain the sport anyway.

As far as I can see the only benefit of buying the LBE now is that you might also find something else in there - an Igor2Igor message, a sketch in the selvedge, a non-Discworld cinderella - some ephemera. 

I can see that it is fun though, particularly being first on the forum to post about the sport.  

And for sports, or ordinary stamps for that matter, that aren't available on the sheet then I suppose buying lots of LBEs is the only way to go. And there is always the chance of finding something two sports or something else special to trade, which is then valuable enough to trade for something you wouldn't otherwise be able to trade for.

Perhaps the gumfronted stamps just aren't as rare as I thought they were!  Only the shop could possibly know that.

Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 02:18
I know that they are rarer than the vast majority of sports. Indeed when I opened a thread about the Gum Fronted variants on the  Cunning Artificers board several people hadn't realised that the 5p and 10P sports also existed in the Gum Fronted format. I can't understand why they don't seem to be as sought after as "regular" sports.   I'm proud of the ones I have in my collection as I consider them to be significant rarities.
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2010 at 04:25
As the proud owner of a set of sheets stamped and signed by Colin I am more than happy to argue that they must be as rare as hen's teeth.  I also have a Lawyer's Guild sport on a cover which was also unreasonably cheap for something which must be very rare too. 

I rationalise this by assuming that few Discworld cinderella collectors are stamp collectors.  If stamp collectors are like me then they are drawn to mistakes rather than something that is a deliberate design variation but these mistakes would mean nothing to a non-collector who would just look for the advertised issues.

Keith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>