Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delandre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delandre
    Posted: 12 September 2010 at 11:16
Some rogues are lovable rogues, especially if the rogue is a con-man. Gaston Fontanille alias Delandre was one such rogue.
Among his crimes were selling fake noble titles and a forming a chemical company with many notable directors, none of who knew they held such a position!
However he is best known for his French military vignettes. During WWI he commisioned a number of noted artists to produce these labels for the various regiments. Some 4000 were produced. Many were packaged up and sold to collectors.
He was commisioned to produced Red Cross charity labels, which were his downfall after he forgot to hand over the maney raised. He died in jail in 1923.
His productions seem to be readily recognisable, despite the different artists involved. I have doubts that the last two of these illustrated are Delandres. Well worth colecting.
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 10:02
That was very interesting, Steve, so much so that I purchased some Smile Here are my examples, the first 4 are similar to the ones in Steve's post, the others I purchased as part of a job lot, described as by Delandre I cannot verify that they are by him, they might just be similar:

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2012 at 09:37
A few more Delandres in my collection including Italian ones
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 21:51
There is an article about Delandre in the current CSC magazine
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 08:05
I believe that the CSC published a 4 volume catalogue of Delandres some time ago but that it is now out of print. One volume came up on eBay some months ago and sold for £40.

Here is a page of them that I acquired recently, I don't fully understand the notes at the top.

Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 23:31
Is the picture copyright Daniel? Could you post it up rather than the link? 
I began this forum as a place to discuss and share ALL cinderella stamps. It is my first forum and is not perfect BUT I will endeavour to make it the best available.

Any positive help appreciated!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 22:43
Sadly,  much of the above Delandre information is incorrect.  There are six Delandre catalogues and all are available at Website posterstamps.org.uk   The CSC has not produced any catalgue.  Delandre comitted suicide in Marseille in 1927.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 06:40
Originally posted by CSC73 CSC73 wrote:

Sadly,  much of the above Delandre information is incorrect.  There are six Delandre catalogues and all are available at Website posterstamps.org.uk   The CSC has not produced any catalgue.  Delandre comitted suicide in Marseille in 1927.

If its the intro that I wrote that is factually incorrect, its probably because it was pieced together from several sources in order to present a consensus history. Gaston Fontanille was almost certainly what can be called a 'dodgy geezer' and as such facts may be anything but, especially if he was the original source. Any corrections would be welcomed by me.

The Delandre vignettes are nevertheless attractive and distinctive Cinderellas. I wa very impressed by the display at Stampex in February, and fascinated by the dedication of collectors for this material.

Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 07:26
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

Originally posted by CSC73 CSC73 wrote:

If its the intro that I wrote that is factually incorrect, its probably because it was pieced together from several sources in order to present a consensus history. Gaston Fontanille was almost certainly what can be called a 'dodgy geezer' and as such facts may be anything but, especially if he was the original source. Any corrections would be welcomed by me.

The Delandre vignettes are nevertheless attractive and distinctive Cinderellas. I wa very impressed by the display at Stampex in February, and fascinated by the dedication of collectors for this material.

In fairness to Steve, all readily available sources for information on Delandre give the date of his death as 1923 and this includes Wikipedia and eBay Buying Guides and I cannot find an English language source that suggests 1927. I'm not saying that CSC73 is wrong, indeed he intimates a knowledge of Delandre, but we can hardly be blamed for errors that are commonly repeated in the public domain. I suggest CSC73 contacts Wikipedia to correct this error and/or gives us his own potted biography of Delandre.

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2013 at 04:12
A mixed bag of Delandres that came my way. Waht is not apparaent from the scans is that the gold and silver do indeed have a gold and silver metallic finish. I like 'em

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>