Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stamp mounts for a Discworld Collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 20:39
All that artwork from the database that is supposedly 'copyright' Discworld Stamps yet for which copyright has never been transferred from the original artists and for which no accreditation for artists' moral right, a requirement under EU law since before the stamps began, ever appears.  Is 'Discworld Stamps' now a registered trading name?

Edited by Colin - 08 September 2010 at 20:41
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2010 at 01:23
I notice that many of the scans of the stamps on Steve's site have the words "[Copyright Symbol] Discworld Emporium 2010" Superimposed on the image of the stamp.... However I suspect the only people who would actually make any money out of an action would be the lawyers... 
If the Album pages are ever available for downloading, and if it's possible to edit them I'll replace those images with scans of the stamps in my collection. 
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2010 at 02:18
I stand corrected, thanks Charles, so where did I see copyright 'Discworld stamps? Perhaps an earlier version.

Not that it makes a lot of odds - as you point out unless you are very wealthy, and the person/business who has infringed copyright is capable of paying, only the lawyers win in such situations. 

I also think it is wrong to continually re-use designer's and illustrator's work without any payment being made - or even an acknowledgement for the work done by that person - it indicates an arrogant disregard, or at the very least a lack of gratitude, for their fellow craftsmen. 

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 05:01
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

I stand corrected, thanks Charles, so where did I see copyright 'Discworld stamps? Perhaps an earlier version.

Not that it makes a lot of odds - as you point out unless you are very wealthy, and the person/business who has infringed copyright is capable of paying, only the lawyers win in such situations. 

I also think it is wrong to continually re-use designer's and illustrator's work without any payment being made - or even an acknowledgement for the work done by that person - it indicates an arrogant disregard, or at the very least a lack of gratitude, for their fellow craftsmen. 

Going off topic here, but no matter.
From a collector's point of view, philatelist's even, I would like to see the credits if and when they are avaialble. For recent issues, like the Discworld stamps, these should be available. In fact re-cycling of design components enhances the background to the stamps. A topic discussed a while ago was how both well known or obscure official stamp designs were used to influence the design of some of these cinderellas. Aside from that I cannot add to, or disagree in the substance of Colin's comments.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 21:04
At the foot of the home page, the stamp images on the site are now apparently 'copyright' Cunning Artificer!

Sorry to go off topic again, just very amused...  :-)

Edited by Colin - 17 September 2010 at 21:06

Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 05:17
When I used to sell squillion pound IT systems I was often amused to bump into clients who thought they owned the Intellectual Property Rights to our software.  The UK law is simple and clear but I think caused a little confusion because it reverses the old position where the IPR would move to the client when money changed hands.

Sometimes I was able to let them down gently but, if they had been very naughty boys it could be fun to slap wrists.

Keith

Edited by Keith - 18 September 2010 at 05:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12