Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stamp mounts for a Discworld Collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stamp mounts for a Discworld Collection
    Posted: 06 September 2010 at 21:41
I recently decided to try and obtain enough stamp mounts to mount my entire Discworld collection. This was to prove quite a job, as despite a fair amount of looking I was unable to find a shop in Bangkok that stocked a full range of mounts. My next thought was e-bay... but as no single supplier seemed to have everything that I would need, it looked as though post and packing charges from several suppliers would make the enterprise a costly one. Researching the issue on Google seemed the next best bet. I did so and was amazed just how badly organised many of the suppliers websites are...
I didn't want to order mounts designed for US Standard issues, or Jumbo commemorative issues, I wanted to order strips of mounts in a graduated range of metric sizes, along with some other items like a small Guillotine, something designed to cleanly remove stamps from paper, a drying book, remounting glue and a strip sealer pen. 
Then I stumbled on a website set up be a chap called Michael Kay. ( www.michaelkay.co.uk )
What a contrast! His site was neatly laid out, with various different manufacturers' stamp mounts available. The differences between the styles of stamp mounts were clearly explained, and the mounts were organised by metric size, both singles and strips. My only concern was that he didn't seem to post items internationally. Nevertheless I sent him an message through the contact function on his website, and was surprised to receive a prompt reply indicating that he would be happy to supply me. I therefor submitted my order and paid by credit card. Michael was kind enough to check back and ask me if I preferred Black mounts or clear, (Something that I had neglected to make clear in my order), and then dispatched my order the next day. The order arrived today, and was 100% correct. None of the usual delays because one item was out of stock or discontinued, which seem to happen so often, just a totally hassle free process. I can't recommend his business too highly. 

It's fair to mention that a fair amount of skull sweat had gone into establishing exactly which mounts to use, (I plumped for Hawid mounts for several reasons), what size strips to use, and how many of each size of strip I would need. I used my "Stamp Checklist", (and what a useful list that has turned out to be),  once again, added the width and height of each stamp, then used different colours to catagorise the stamps into different sections, arranged by the height of the stamps. The width of each stamp wasn't so critical... merely a factor in calculating how many packs of each size strip I would need to order, (As it turned out, one pack of each of the sizes I eventually decided to get fitted the bill nicely).  I decided that a selection of 12 different heights for the mounts, including several large sizes for mini sheets and other larger items would do nicely.  I can't add the whole list here, as the Word 2007 formatting wouldn't survive the process of cutting and pasting the document into this post... but if anyone wants a copy of the document I'd be happy to send it to them if they supply me their e-mail address.   
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 08:03
Thanks for the recommendations Charles.  Always useful and I'll try him. 

I was hunting for Hagner pages recently for my Wonderland collection.  Gerald King says that's what he uses to display them and if the designer says so how can I argue?  I didn't spend the effort you have in measuring things but it took a while to find a good fast source sensibly priced.  I found a company fairly local to me (irrelevant I suppose as our deals have been by post) and I get the full, accurate, delivery the next day.  He's on eBay and is matlock4stamps.  He has a 15,000 feedback and certainly posts outside the UK.

Keith
Carole View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote Carole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 11:48
I will be using Hawid mounts for the smaller stamps and blocks. However using the Hawid mounts for the sheets (which I have for about a third of my collection) is becoming prohibitively expensive at between £6-£10 for the A4 size and you only get 5.

So I am now following a different path still using the same material that the Hawid mounts are made of (archival polyester) by buying Mylar/Melinex or Archival Polyester pockets.

They are not glued on the back but then I never stick the sheet mounts down, and they are only available in clear, I don't have a problem with that.

They can be bought with various opening styles, so you can have then closed top and bottom as on the Hawid mounts or on the long sides or one short and one long side.  You can trim them and they come in a variety of sizes (down to 2½ x 3¾" (64 x 95 mm)) and at £11 for 25 A4+ sheets they do the job very well for very much less.

Its a very safe archival product used for long term protection and storage and they also come in A4 punched versions that will fit in a standard album or ring binder.

Edited by Carole - 07 September 2010 at 12:03
Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 15:59
I don't mount the A4 sheets, they just fit nicely in the A4 pockets that I use... it's the mini sheets that I'll be mounting in due course. I've also bought some clear photo corners to use for the medium sized sheets. This seems the best way to go... 
Thanks Keith and Carole for your advice, much appreciated.
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 21:00
If enough collectors lobbied the DW shop you might find they could bulk buy and get your presentation supplies when you buy new issues.

So many of their collectors are archiving their collections as they become more valuable that they ought to be taking a role in what happens to their stamps once issued. 

There could even be an argument for buying your stamps ready mounted or in a collectors set direct from the shop, with everything supplied for their presentation at a small extra charge.

Does anyone know whether the stamps being sent to the British Library are properly presented or just bundled up piecemeal?  It would be only proper for those to be presented professionally. 
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 21:46
The DW shop did used to sell album pages but gave this up.  I assume 'cos they didn't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile.  I know it's not the same as the protection that Charles and Carole were discussing but if you can't sell the album pages would you be able to sell mounts etc?  Hilary might be able to throw light on why the albums were discontinued.

David was the only person I knew with any link to the British Library collection but he stopped posting when I stopped scanning Seahorses.  Again, Hilary might know.  But I suspect that the BL will take responsibility for the presentation and storage of the stamps regardless of how they are sent to them.

Keith
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 01:38
You really MUST get scanning your seahorses again Keith.
And I must get back in contact with David now my Dad is on the mend.

Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 03:14
I'm so glad to hear that your Fathers' health is improving Colin. I can only begin to imagine what a weight that must be off your mind. 
I downloaded the three sets of Album pages that the Emporium produced, and I fervently wish that they had continued to produce them. If only a full set was available for all the stamps and stickers that have been produced over the years it would make my task of producing a definitive set of Albums an easy and effortless job. As it is I'm proceeding very slowly, and have several hundred pages left to do. The task is so rich in detail, and my computer skills and experience with graphics packages are so rudimentary that I fear it's a task akin to painting the Fourth bridge... but I'm plugging away.   
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 07:52
Thanks Charles, as well as my dad making a good recovery we have today just got our hot water and central back in the house again - so cue the heatwave!  We get the roof finished off on Saturday so will soon have my studio back in order then can start really getting organised again.  I can't wait!

As for the Album pages why not start a thread on the DW forum. I am sure you are not the only person who would like an inexpensive set of pages for all the stamps produced and once the demand is noted I am sure the shop will be only too happy to sell you something else  :-)

Even if you just had a series of stock pages with a pale grid printed across it and some generic illustrations lifted from the stamps at the foot of each page it would help them a collection until more specific pages were available. They could even be given away as free downloads from the shop or Steve James fan site.

With all those new customers on the back of the movie and DVD there must be lots of new collectors all needing somewhere to put their collections.

Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 17:39
I understand that Steve James is currently working on a set of Album pages using the data which he already has on his database... This may be the answer. I understand the pages will be available as a free download, and presented in a format that people can edit. I suspect this will be the way forward.

Edited by Murgatroyd - 08 September 2010 at 17:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>