Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hilary Presents Welcome to "Pharos"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 63>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hilary Presents Welcome to "Pharos"
    Posted: 30 March 2010 at 02:25
Hilary Presents Welcome to "Pharos"

An island where you’re never out of sight of a lighthouse.

I started playing with lighthouse designs because I seemed to have collected all the lighthouse stamps I liked or could afford.  Then it became an addiction, and Pharos was born.  People have been kind enough to suggest that other Cinderella collectors might enjoy them too.
I plan to release a new stamp every month which will be available as a cover or as a sheet.  The cover will bear the stamp, franked with the Pharos frank, and will contain a mint stamp plus another Pharos stamp or bit of ephemera, plus an insert which will contain extracts for the month in question from the local Pharos newspaper, and a bit of information about the island.
Only 17 full sheets will ever be created for each month’s stamp, and two will go into my own collection, leaving 15 available for sale.
I hope that collectors will be interested in subscribing for the covers and/or the sheets, minimum subscription will be 3 months.

3 months covers: £9.00 including UK postage (£12.00 including overseas postage)
6 months covers: £18.00 including UK postage (£23.00 overseas postage)
1 year covers: £35.00 including UK postage (£45.00 overseas postage)

3 months sheets: £30.00 plus £3.00 UK postage, plus £5.00 overseas postage
6 months sheets: £60.00 plus £5.00 UK postage, plus £9.00 overseas postage
1 years sheets:  £110.00 plus £10.00 UK postage, plus £17.50 overseas postage

3 months sheets and covers:             UK: £42.00      Overseas: £44.00
6 months sheets and covers:             UK: £83.00      Overseas: £87.00
1 year sheets and covers:                  UK: £155.00    Overseas: £162.50

Payment can be by cheque or by Paypal – if you’d like to subscribe, please contact me for details.

But if you just want to buy the odd cover here and there, they’ll be on ebay for £5.00 plus postage, along with any sheets that haven’t been subscribed, at £15 plus postage.

For various reasons the January stamp and cover was delayed, so Jan and Feb are both currently available.

Oh, and subscribers might well find themselves – or their alter egos – appearing as characters on the pages of the ‘Pharos Beacon’.

#2 2010-02-16 14:26:57

Jonty
    Registered

Re: Hilary Presents Welcome to "Pharos"

Also the stamps

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy214/Trimsbin/1pstampdetail.jpg
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy214/Trimsbin/2pstampdetail.jpg
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy214/Trimsbin/Pharosfrank.jpg

#3 2010-02-17 00:56:08

Colin
    Recorded

Good luck Hilary

If you'd like any extra pictures in the masthead please email Jeremy

Keith
    Recorded

I have the honour of owning the first two sheets and covers and I can recommend them to you all.

Hilary now has her own section on askmeaboutstamps.  You'll find her here

I've not posted details yet of the 3 "beamers" you will find on the two Lighthouse stamps issued so far.  Didn't want to spoil it if you are still hunting.

I've not yet dealt with the additional Pharos stamps Hilary included.  They are Postage Dues - to go with the Dues she designed for the Cunning Artificer.

Well done Hilary.  I'm looking forward, with patience, to the next issue.

Keith
To see images and more information about stamps discussed here you should visit http://www.askmeaboutstamps.com/

#5 2010-02-27 04:27:32

Jonty
    Registered

Ditto as above, they really are very good, and I also recommend this limited issue

Found the 2 x 2p "beamers" (or sports) fairly quickly, However had to have a couple of hints from Hilary for the 1p beamer, very subtle!

The good thing is it's nearly March, so the next issue is due soon, Yay!

#6 2010-02-28 11:17:52

Hilary
    Registered

For anyone who doesn't want to subscribe - and why should you? - the January and February covers are now available on ebay:
Item numbers:

Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement.
H x

#7 2010-02-28 11:51:57

Keith
    Recorded

and why should you?

Because they are excellent, high quality, items and you'd be mad not to for the price.  That's why.

Hey, it's March tomorrow.  Another set will be on its way.

Keith
To see images and more information about stamps discussed here you should visit http://www.askmeaboutstamps.com/

#8 2010-02-28 12:12:43

Gregory Terry Byrd
    First Class

Lovely work Hilary.  Thanks for sharing.

your real name

#9 2010-03-01 01:11:21

Colin
    Recorded

Bought mine from eBay at last.

Great stamps Hilary and I look forward to seeing more very soon!  We are very impressed with your sewing machine perfing - much discussion at Stampex...  Perhaps none of us needs a perforator after all!?

#10 2010-03-01 04:57:10

Steve
    Special

Mine have arrived too and I am well pleased.

How much do you charge for the sewing machine work?

#11 2010-03-01 12:01:37

Hilary
    Registered

I only suggested it COULD be done with a sewing machine, not that I had.  And it can, I've tried it, it does work.  I'm just glad I don't have to.  Thank goodness for friends in low places.

However, it occurs to me that, with a sewing machine, one could create some quite interesting perforated shapes.  Hmmmm.  Watch this space!

#12 2010-03-04 01:39:55

Colin
    Recorded

Sewing machines, interesting shapes, sounds like big girl's toys to me!

I received my Pharos stamps today and they are jolly nice, that perf gauge looks familiar - don't forget that other sources of perforation exist and I can vouch for their quality - and I am looking forward to collecting these regularly.

Looking forward to the next big brown envelope  :-)  Thanks Hilary

#13 2010-03-12 05:00:32

Steve
    Special

Issue 3 has just arrived. A very handsome stamp and a nice extra in there too. I'll have to look for the beamer later.

Many thanks Hilary smile

#14 2010-03-12 05:43:51

Jonty
    Registered

Also received mine this morning, found the beamer, and rewally like the "Granny Fanny" extra, I wonder who it is?

Thanks Hilary, an excellent job well done again

#15 2010-03-12 07:27:23

Anne B N
    Unmounted

I'm waitning Patiently (-well more or less) by my mailbox!

#16 2010-03-12 08:17:01

Keith
    Recorded

Germany?  You're getting further away Anne.  No wonder the latest stamps haven't arrived yet.

Another excellent set Hilary.  I like the fact that the design of the frame remains the same throughout the set (so far).  It actually makes them look like a set and this is often not the case in my limited experience of fantasy stamps.

I thought I'd spotted a beamer but it turned out to be a bit of fluff masquerading as a crack in the lighthouse

I'll get them added to askme.com as soon as I can.  I have a backlog due to sitting around doing nothing.

Keith

#17 2010-03-12 08:33:23

Anne B N
    Unmounted

Germany? You're getting further away Anne. No wonder the latest stamps haven't arrived yet.

No, it's no wonder. That is also why I am (quite) Patient.

Besides, in terms of posting times, Germany actually seems to be a little closer to the UK than Denmark. And my postman here is friendlier, and says hello whenever I meet him, which they didn't do in Copenhagen. But that is probably a smaller town/bigger city kind of thing, rather than a country thing. Or just that he is a nice postman.

#18 2010-03-12 12:12:11

Hilary
    Registered

I can reveal that Granny Fanny is in fact my husband John's... Granny Fanny.  So my Granny Fanny-in-law, I suppose.

I was intrigued by the idea of consistent framing.  It's a conundrum - when to change the frame to be interesting, when to keep it to create a series.  I don't want people to think I'm being lazy!
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 02:51
Any idea when the next Pharos eBay issue will be?  Looking forward to that  :-)
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Jonty View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 15:38
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

Any idea when the next Pharos eBay issue will be?  Looking forward to that  :-)

Should be within the next week or so, and like yourself, I am looking forward to this issue, as I have not had a preview. 
jmmaes View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmmaes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 16:35
Ideas ??
A set about imaginary fishes that swim aroud Pharos.
erhaps some imaginary birds that lands by there.
Must be also full of crabs, shells, perhaps some rare plants or flowers.
As new you can describe them, Pharosius could be a new genus of something.
Other not so new could  be pharosensis, belonging to an existing genus, just different species.
In another context you can make an historical issue set about the construction of the light, the strategic importance of the island and the war between nations to keep dominion on it. After all, in reality there has been wars to keep small islands in reality.
Bye,
Jean-Michel.
Philately to enjoy life
Hilary View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 06:18
Thanks Jean-Michel, some nice ideas there.  There will definitely be a Pharos Crow - Corvus Pharosensis,  probably a lizard, and some plants and flowers.  Unfortunately, having set the island not too far off the British coast, I would find it hard to explain how unique fish might only be found there.
With a memory full of ships, and seas, and perilous headlands, and the shining Pharos, he must apply his long sighted eyes to the petty niceties of drawing. - Robert Louis Stevenson
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 06:45
Originally posted by Hilary Hilary wrote:

Unfortunately, having set the island not too far off the British coast, I would find it hard to explain how unique fish might only be found there.
So. Someone who can think of an island that moves about and on which nobody can sleep for the glare of flashing lights can't think why a fish or two might be unique?...........

They must be the rare "random" fish which are only found on the coral reefs off the shore of a randomly moving island which needs lots of lighthouses to help sailors keep off them. Think Galapogos. How many unique species are there?

Keith

Edited by Keith - 02 April 2010 at 06:46
Hilary View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 07:19
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

Originally posted by Hilary Hilary wrote:

Unfortunately, having set the island not too far off the British coast, I would find it hard to explain how unique fish might only be found there.
So. Someone who can think of an island that moves about and on which nobody can sleep for the glare of flashing lights can't think why a fish or two might be unique?...........

They must be the rare "random" fish which are only found on the coral reefs off the shore of a randomly moving island which needs lots of lighthouses to help sailors keep off them. Think Galapogos. How many unique species are there?

Keith

How am I supposed to make a lucid argument when presented with a picture of George Clooney?
Or any argument at all?......

(Pulls oneself together)

But the Galapagos are surely are a little further away from anything resembling a mainland? 
And it doesn't actually move about - it's just a magnetic anomaly.  (Have you not been paying attention?)

OK, I give in.  There will be a fish.  There will be a shellfish.
And the rare light-emitting red-banded Pharos squid.  (Yes, you guessed it, it looks just like a.....
squid.)
Anything George wants.

(PS - I like that you can have quotes within quotes - this is a MUCH better forum)
With a memory full of ships, and seas, and perilous headlands, and the shining Pharos, he must apply his long sighted eyes to the petty niceties of drawing. - Robert Louis Stevenson
Murgatroyd View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Murgatroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2010 at 05:22
Any Island off the south 9east) corner of England is liable to be within 100 miles of Dungerness nuclear power station... What kind of fish do you want? Three eyed?
"I've got twenty minutes to save the world and I've got a Post Office, and it's shut." The Raggedy Doctor.
Hilary View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2010 at 10:56
Well I thought I was on to a good thing with a light emitting squid, but it turns out there is one already.  There's even something called a piglet squid, which is just so cute.  Even without the assistance of Dungeness or Hinkley Point, there are things in the sea that I'd have to be on acid to outdo for weirdness.
Hilary View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 07:02
A new consignment of Bill Porter's lovely paper has escaped Customs and has got as far as my local post office, so with a bit of luck the April issue Pharos stamp will be despatched early next week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 63>