Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The poster stamps of John Coulthard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote StampHinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The poster stamps of John Coulthard
    Posted: 05 July 2020 at 09:33
This Laernu label

produced by Colin some years back led me to this forum.  I was attracted to the label as a collector of cinderellas and for the cartoon character holding the sign.  The cartoon drawing is by John Coulthard, a commercial artist who drew numerous cachets for first-day cover dealers and cartoon ads for stamp dealer Elmer Long in the 1930s and 1940s.  Coulthard  is my favorite cachet artist and I seek to acquire the different formats of his work for my collection. 

During the 1930s, collecting covers postmarked at towns with unusual place names was popular.  John Coulthard drew several cachets matching unusual place names.  They  appealed to collectors and, in 1939, Western Stamp Collector commissioned him to do a series of 20 poster stamps for towns with odd names. Soon after, this series was followed by an additional 20 similar poster stamps.  These labels were numbered from 1 to 40 with apparently at least two others, numbers 00 and 0 added for a probably total of 42 poster stamps.  The intent of the stamps was to place one or more on cover and have it postmarked at the corresponding post office.

I have been trying to accumulate a set on cover for several years now and I am within reach of completion.   To date, I lack ten of the series.  Below are scans of those labels I have

Don StampHinger.

Poster stamp # 00, Rural Retreat, Virginia, the lowest number that I seen. 

Poster stamp #1, Shaver Lake, California

Poster stamp # 2, Looking Glass, Oregon

Poster stamp # 3, Hellgate, Washington

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 22:02
Great items!
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 22:37
Now THAT is a collection!

What a great idea...
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 04:24
As one of the Laernu labels prompted this thread I thought I'd sharea few more of those here. Some smaller than others, some imperf, different background colours, some used. Loads of collcting opportunities. Enjoy.

Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 04:32
A blast from the past, Steve!

My source material for these labels was a book from the 1930s which was in an auction locally from a defunct stationery printers, and contained many such cartoons by various illustrators, prepared camera ready in various sizes to be quickly cut and pasted into old-fashioned 'lick and stick' artwork by the printers.

From memory, the book pretty much fell apart and sad to say didn't survive.

My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

StampHinger View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote StampHinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 11:39
Thanks, Steve and Colin for your comments on my Coulthard poster stamps.  Thanks, too, Steve, for posting those Laernu labels.  They constitute a collecting field in their own right!  Attractive, all of them.  Colin, do you have a checklist of those labels?

I should mention that John Coulthard signed nearly all of his items.  Look in either the lower left or right hand corners for his initial C with a bar on top of it.  Some think it is an E, but it is a C with the bar.  Another way to identify his work is to look for the small spotted dog.   It is not in all of his cartoon work, but is in nearly all of the cartoon work he did for Elmer Long. 

Since I am missing #5 and limiting my posts to four covers at a time, today's posting will take me through # 8.  My belief is that # 7 is from the second series Coulthard did in late 1939 or early 1940.  The first series featured a # 7 1/2 instead.  While I have a # 7 1/2, I will not post it in this sequence because it contains racial undertones and racial tensions are running way too high at this time.  If someone wants to see # 7 1/2 let me know in a private message and I will try to send it via email.

Don

Poster Stamp # 4, Horse Heaven, Oregon

Poster Stamp # 5.  I originally said I didn't have a # 5 from Bachelor, California, but I do and I found it among some covers awaiting write-up.  I include it here using the edit function.  Today, it must be a ghost town, at least a discontinued post office.  Google Maps can't locate it.

Poster Stamp # 6, Left Hand, West Virginia.  This label includes the spotted dog.  As a general note, none of the postal card covers have messages on the reverse.  The collectors seemed interested only in obtaining the corresponding cancel.

Poster Stamp # 7, Begood, Virginia.  Again, the artist included the dog.

Poster Stamp # 8, Romeo, Colorado.

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2020 at 11:52
Will this do? This is what I have identified so far

FUN. Thanks for Collecting LAERNU Stamps - blue and purple
FUN Everything Else is Just Reality - blue and purple
Cinderellas. Delightful Different with a twist
Variation on above with creamy yellow background (2009)
What Have You Won?
Please take care when licking - greenish background
As above - imperforate
As above -pale orange background, imperforate
As above - purplish background perforaued
You can Relax - pale buff background
As above - greenish background
As above = purplish background
Laernu stamps are fun - beige background
As above with pinkish background (2009)
As above with blue background
As above with greenish background
The Perfect Anniversary present - pink background
As above - beige background
Because you are Worth it - pale blue background
As above - cream background
As above - pale green background
Go online to Cinderellastampsforum,.com
Keep your marriage exciting - pale blue background
As above - salmon background
As above - pale blue background
As above - pale blue background and imperforate
May contain Traces of Norfolk
The Perfect Birthday Present - cream background
The Perfect Valentines Day Present - pink background
Ditto with beige background imperf
Packed in an Uncontrolled Environment - beige background
As above imperforate
Make Time to collect Laernu Stamps - pink background
Because you are Worth It - blue background
Not suitable for internal consumption - purple background
As above - pink background
As above - yellow background
As above - purple background
Yay! Here at last
Fun! Free Norfolk air
Your stamps have arrived - beige background
As above - imperforate
Don’t Forget Laernu stamps - beige background
At Last - beige background
Laernu Fantasy Stamps - part imperforate, purple on white
Its Your Lucky Day - orange background
Imperforate sheet of 16 Laernu labels mixed
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote StampHinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2020 at 12:05
Thanks, Steve, for that check-list.  I have made a copy for my want list.

Yesterday, I said that I didn't have a # 5, Bachelor, California, but I do.  I found it among a group of covers awaiting wirte-up and have added it above.  Today's post continues in numerical sequence with # 9.

Poster Stamp # 9, Young America, Indiana.  Young America is today a small town of less than 200 souls in north-central Indiana.  It was founded in 1858, and, as of 2018, it still had a post office.

Poster Stamp # 10, OK, Kentucky.  Another town that is gone, at least Google can't find it.

Poster Stamp # 11, Mud, West Virginia.  Mud is still on the map, in Lincoln County W.VA, but the post office is closed.  This is the most artistic application of all the labels on cover that I have.  The shadow box enhances the label.

Poster Stamp # 12, Competition, Missouri.  Competition still has an operating post office.  It is located 17 miles southeast of Lebanon, MO.

StampHinger
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2020 at 12:17
A lovely collection to treasure.

It is heartening to see taht this sort of stamp does have a collector base. You have your reasons, and I have mine - part of the Laernu sphere. Now I have Venn diagrams in my mind.
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote StampHinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 11:26
Continuing chronologically today with John Coulthard's cartoon labels done for Western Stamp Collector in 1939.

Poster Stamp # 13, Pie Town, New Mexico.  Pie Town is still there.  It is in western New Mexico, on highway US 60, population a few over 180 souls in 2010.  I have actually been to Pie Town.

Poster Stamp # 14.  I do not have this label.  It depicts Painted Post, New York.

Poster Stamp # 15.  Social Circle, Georgia.  Social Circle is 45 miles east of Atlanta.  It is one of the larger towns of this series with a population of 4,000 plus residents.

Poster Stamp # 16.  Worry, North Carolina.  Wikipedia reports that Worry's post office was discontinued in 1944.  Don't know what the town's status is today.  It is the only one of these covers that I have addressed to a stamp dealer.  Perhaps, the dealer had several sets made up for resale.

Poster Stamp #17.  Horseshoe, Florida.  Google Maps does not find Horseshoe, Florida.  Its status is unknown to me.

Don StampHinger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>