Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsor Labels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponsor Labels
    Posted: 15 July 2010 at 08:07
Bill has asked me if the 'sponsorship' labels attached to some of my Pharos stamps have a real-life counterpart.   I don't know, but I know a bunch of people who will, so can anyone out there inform both of us? 

I'm aware, of course, of New Zealand companies advertising on the reverse side of stamps in the late 19th century, but I don't know what the financial arrangement was, and again if anyone knows I'd be very interested.  (I have thought of trying this with the Pharos sheets, but the idea of getting everything to line up on front and back makes my brain hurt.)
With a memory full of ships, and seas, and perilous headlands, and the shining Pharos, he must apply his long sighted eyes to the petty niceties of drawing. - Robert Louis Stevenson
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 09:38
The most well known advertising underprint in GB philately is the one for Pears Soap, but there are a host of protective underprints known. some of these were unofficial. Read more here
Of course Hilary, you are familiar with the Parasol makers Joseph Camels (nothing to do with the cigarettes) and their underprints.

Edited by Steve - 15 July 2010 at 09:39
Hilary View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 06:28
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

Of course Hilary, you are familiar with the Parasol makers Joseph Camels (nothing to do with the cigarettes) and their underprints.

I should be, they were my idea.
With a memory full of ships, and seas, and perilous headlands, and the shining Pharos, he must apply his long sighted eyes to the petty niceties of drawing. - Robert Louis Stevenson
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 13:01
Advertising labels were commonplace in stamp booklets where, because the stamps were made up to exact booklet values, there would otherwise have been blank spaces. Examples can be seen here:
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 13:05
I'd forgotten about those. How many saying £6,450 For you at 65 by Canada Life Insurance did I chuck away?
I think sponsor labels first appeared in booklets way back in the days of GVI

Hilary's are much nicer though
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 13:41
They actually date back to the reign of George V. Other countries have also issued them, here are some more interesting examples from Belgium:
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 21:05
Did I say VI? I meant the bearded one
Bill Porter View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 03:47

Thanks for posing the question here, Hilary.  And to the others for the links showing similar
examples to what Hilary is doing with her stamp productions.

I've seen a few similar things on U.S. postage stamp releases over the years.  [Not so much today
since production methods of postage has changed so dramatically (not necessarily for the better),
as the USPS has pretty much moved away from traditional dry-gummed papers and real, pinhole
perforations.] But the "adverts" in either selvedge or what would otherwise have been a blank
spot in a booklet of stamps were promoting USPS products or services.  Such as when Zipcodes
came into play and there was a concerted effort then to get mailers to use them when addressing
mail.

I am not aware of any US postage stamp issues that carried advertising for any other commercial
entity's products, services, etc.

Hence my curiousity when Hilary sent me a small sampling of her Pharos cinderella stamps that
contained what appeared to be advertising for legitimate products and companies.  And, if memory
serves me correctly, Colin did something similar on one or two occasions with some modern day,
commercial stamp projects he's produced that I am aware of.

As one might imagine, it is understandable that postal services might allow "sponsors" on postage
stamps, especially if that country is small and funds might be required to actually pay for production
costs.  But from a perspective of cinderellas, most commonly if a company wanted to advertise
themselves or their specific products, they did so with what we commonly refer to today as Poster
Stamps, or advertising stamps. 

But -- in the context of Cinderellas -- I wasn't sure if Hilary and her Pharos stamps actually needed
financial subsidy; or, IF any other cinderella producers (printing firms) throughout history in the UK
(or elsewhere) also required additional compensation for presumed, pre-paid production jobs aside
from those monies paid by their primary "customers" for a specific job.

It all just seemed very strange, and curious, to me.  But now Hilary has been so kind as to inform
me that the ads associated with her stamp issues are ficticous and for purposes of fun.  So again
my thanks to you, Hilary, and to all for the clarifications/history that you've provided here.

Bill    

The Olathe Poste
P. O. Box 707
Olathe, CO 81425
USA
 Post Reply Post Reply