Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Principality of Hutt River closes its doors soon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Principality of Hutt River closes its doors soon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote doktorvonwer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Principality of Hutt River closes its doors soon
    Posted: 28 December 2019 at 03:12
Hello,
yesterday, Prince Graeme of Hutt River announced the closure of the Principlaity to the public from the end of January 2020.

I wonder how this will affect philately and other collectibles.
Anybody closer to the location have any thoughts?
BR - doktorvonwer

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2019 at 16:01
Very sad to learn that the Principality of Hutt River is going to close.

Many delightful philatelic treasures, plus coins, books, and memorabilia have come from this large Fifth World country over the years.

Details here.

The datestamp "year" row expired at 1980, so they had to improvise until a new "year row" could be imported from a nearby country.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2019 at 00:28

Notice that one set of the 1978 Xmas names the great man as "Archbishop" while the other names him as "Patriarch".

One was incorrect, I am still unsure which, but I remember the embarrassed media release mailed from the Palace at Hutt River apologising for the error and promising that a reprint would happen to show his name correctly.

A colleague reports that many years ago he drove several hours north of Perth to visit 'Prince' Leonard, at the Hutt River Principality and had quite a long chat with him there. A bleak little farm well off the main road to Geraldton was the ''Royal Castle.''

"Prince" Leonard Casley of course created many sets of Hutt River Province stamps - indeed even coins and banknotes, and even stamped the passport when there. The postage stamps are still keenly sought.

He refused to pay Australian Income Tax, claiming he had seceded. 

Apparently, this is the root of the problems his son is now facing, trying to run the farm and the Principality.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2019 at 11:09
One of the original micronations.
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2019 at 21:19
Yes indeed, a vintage classic!

They began only two years after my micronation, Occussi-Ambeno, so this year (2020) is their 50th birthday.

This minisheet is my favorite of their issues.  Clearly designed to appeal to the "Aussie rules" sports fans.  It would be nice to know the sales figures, but the Prince never divulged such useful information.  (But nor do many other Post Offices worldaround these days.)
 Post Reply Post Reply