FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Very Good - Well Tried - mystery stamps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bas S Warwick View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Good - Well Tried - mystery stamps
    Posted: 27 April 2018 at 13:06
Daniel - many thanks for clearing up the mystery.
The ones I displayed were found in New Zealand, so perhaps they were brought over in a 'collection' many years ago.
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2018 at 11:24
Hi Bas,

I have 3 different sets of these, including the 3 designs that you show, and, in addition, there are Excellent and Good stamps. The ones that I have seem to fall into 3 categories, religion, farming and history. The latter stamps would indicate that they were British. I have no printers information but would agree that they date from the early 20th century. I'm sure that Steve's assumption that they were produced for school use is correct. Indeed, their use continues to this day, albeit now as rubber stamps and they are known as Teachers' Motivation and Reward stamps or some similar name.

Here are my examples:

Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 19:14
Hello Steve
Thanks for the reply - Yes that sounds logical.
The images would appear to indicate a bygone era, (early 1900's perhaps) - strange none of these have surfaced before.

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 11:42
I can only think these were 'awarded' to some kind of essay or other work. Probably by children. What that work could be is a mystery, though could be some sort of history assignment. But that is a wild guess.
WELL TRIED is a bit of an awkward phrase. Perhaps GOOD ATTEMPT or GOOD TRY didn't fit well, but does its use point to the origin.
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 21:21
Discovered in a NewZealand bulk lot.

Anyone have any ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply