Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tudor Penny Post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tudor Penny Post
    Posted: 26 June 2010 at 04:51
As part of my new Gerald King collection I've recently bought this set of Tudor Penny Post stamps.

They were an eBay lot so came without history.  One thing you have to say about Gerald is that his stamps come with a story - generally of the shaggy-dog variety.  Does anyone know of any tale attached to this issue?

Now Gerald is a member I've proddled him to come and tell us all about them but if anyone else knows anything I'd be delighted to hear.

Keith
phantasmagoria View Drop Down
Unmounted
Unmounted

Post Options Post Options   Quote phantasmagoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 07:10
Thanks Keith.
Nothing really exotic about the Tudor set;  I came across a very old album devoted to Shakespearian quotes using cutout designs from stamps of the 1920s/3os  The opening page had the stamps stuckin. I managed to retrieve them, and realized there were only four Tudor isses involved,,, no Henry VII who of course was the first Tudor monarch. So I borrowed a portrait from a cigarette card featuring him, and adjusted the frame lettering. So now we have a full set of the Tudor monarchs.  They are printed by top quality laser copier on a type of vellum paper.  They are in sheets of 24 (4 x 6)  are ungummed, and have a full marginal inscription thus;

The Henry VII sheet :
"Place ye label above ye addresse & towards ye ryghte of ye lettre.
Applye ye small mixture of cowe dunge & syrruppe to back of label & affyxe.   
Pryce ONE PENNY per label.  ONE GROAT per row of 4   ONE FLORIN ye shete.
Printed by William Caxton at West Minster, London.

The other 4 monarchs sheet inscriptions are the same except the printers details which read
Printed by Messrs Wynkyn de Worde at St.Bride. Fleet Street London

Apparently Wynkyn de Worde was Caxton's apprentice and eventually took over the business

None of the stamps known on cover  (yet !)
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 10:38
I am a proud owner of some of these too.

Now you've given us a Discworld connection between these stamps and those others.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 03:12
These Tudor stamps 'inspired' me to have a go at a Stuart set some time last year.
I used the official portraits of the monarchs, set against a luxurious silk background, matched to the portrait colours. This was to provide a contrast to the Tudor set, though obviously they would not have had the technology to actually create these stamps. Its fantasy right?
The inscriptions come from the coins of that era. Interesting to note they still claimed France within their territories. All are valued at 1 penny except the William and Mary stamps which are a pair of ½d.
During the Commonwealth period there was an Oliver Cromwell stamp, but being rather puritanical he opted for a sackcloth background.
Here are the stamps in reduced resolution.

Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 06:37
Why haven't I seen these stamps?

(Steve's, I have Gerald's)
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 06:43
This was their grand entrance

As stamps they don't exist .........   yet
gonarain View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote gonarain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 09:14
Very very nice stamps, i like them.
Smile 
not so bright, so explain a lot please.
toast View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 10:04
very nice Steve... consider an Epson workforce 1100 printer if your next attempt at resurrecting the Polaroid fails... 13x19 (or much longer if needed), pigments, good resolution... has been selling on sale at around $120 US with free shipping. I know how frustrating printer problems can be. best
toast
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 11:31
Thanks for the suggestion toast. Will look into it.

I think that if I did persue these stamps I would rebuild them from scratch using the few skills I have gained in the last year. Just subtle improvements.
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 04:43
Here are scans of two of the Tudor sheets so you can see the words that phantasmagoia described.

Here is the Henry VII sheet printed by William Caxton

Here is the Henry VIII sheet printed by Wynkyn de Worde
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>