FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tudor Penny Post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tudor Penny Post
    Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:00
Excellent Daniel
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 08:41
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 12:45
Originally posted by phantasmagoria phantasmagoria wrote:

Nothing really exotic about the Tudor set;  I came across a very old album devoted to Shakespearean quotes using cutout designs from stamps of the 1920s/3os  The opening page had the stamps stuck in. I managed to retrieve them, and realized there were only four Tudor issues involved,,, no Henry VII 

So, this begs the question as to the origin of these found stamps and I am now able to answer this having acquired a nice lot of articles from various philatelic publications and newspapers relating to Cinderella stamps. In The American Philatelist for October 1988, four stamps are depicted on the cover. The article inside explains that the book that Gerald refers to is G A Higlett's Shakespeare as a Stamp Collector which consists of various quotes from Shakespeare that could easily seem to refer to postage stamps. It was published in England in 1921 and it was limited to only 136 copies and it did contain the stamps mounted opposite the title page. If Gerald still has it, it must be very rare in itself.

All I can show is the cover of the magazine:

Higlett by Spicer57, on Flickr
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2014 at 22:54
I've updated this page on askme in order to include the later Henry V!!! "Matrimonial Cause" sheets.  I don't know how many of these are in the wild but I've never seen them on eBay.  They seem to show that there was a knowledge of Wonderland as far back as Tudor times.

Keith
Joolz View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Joolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 06:19
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

I've sent you a PM Joolz.

Keith
Thanks, Keith. Thumbs Up Big smile
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 04:21
I've sent you a PM Joolz.

Keith
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 02:39
I've asked but don't expect a reply until the snooker has finished.

I bought the sheets almost 4 years ago and I think tthere were few, if any, more. I wonder how many were produced. I've only ever seen the singles on eBay.

Keith
Joolz View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Joolz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 05:57
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

I've added scans of all five Tudor sheets to the askme website at the end of this link.

Keith
Lovely sheets, Keith. Gerald should be justly proud of those beauties. I hope I might get the opportunity to nab myself a set if one ever turns up on ebay. (I'm assuming that they aren't available directly from the source anymore given that Gerald produced them a number of years ago. Do you happen to know whether that assumption is correct or not?)
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 05:27
I've added scans of all five Tudor sheets to the askme website at the end of this link.

Keith
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 04:43
Here are scans of two of the Tudor sheets so you can see the words that phantasmagoia described.

Here is the Henry VII sheet printed by William Caxton

Here is the Henry VIII sheet printed by Wynkyn de Worde
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>