Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Owain Glyndwr Label

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Owain Glyndwr Label
    Posted: 26 June 2010 at 04:37
I've just come back from a few days in deepest, darkest, decent beer desert, Welsh Wales and, by coincidence an eBay lot was waiting for me in my post from a seller in Cardiff.

On the back of the envelope was this label of Owain Glyndwr.  Does anyone know anything about it?

I've contacted the seller to invite them here if he was the designer (or indeed if he wasn't and is just interested) but was hoping someone could throw light on it for me.

Keith
toast View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 07:52
looks like it was issued as part of a y2k comem marking the 600th since his acendency to the title.

toast

Edited by toast - 26 June 2010 at 19:22
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 10:36
I have one of these too. But likewise I have been unable to find out anything about it. The one possible source could have been his Welsh Parliament building in Machynlleth , but I have been there and though a few souvenirs were sold I saw no stamps. Even the 1Af value has me stumped.
Owain can be seen in other places across Wales - a memorial in Corwen or his the site of his moated family house near Oswestry.
One lead may be the The Owain Glyndwr Society

toast View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote toast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 19:26
try the Lolfa publishing house for additional info.
toast
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 21:05
You are a wizard of Google Toast.  Thanks.

Google Toast.  Now there's a product brand they've not used yet.  Maybe I'll copyright it.

Keith
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2010 at 11:16
The Lolfa publisher has a set of stamps for sale at £2. But no picture, so no clue whether these are sticky bits of paper or hand devices for transferring an inked design onto paper
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 06:28
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

The Lolfa publisher has a set of stamps for sale at £2. But no picture, so no clue whether these are sticky bits of paper or hand devices for transferring an inked design onto paper

At £2 I took a punt (rubber stamps are usually more expensive). I'll advise of the outcome!

Edited by Daniel - 28 June 2010 at 06:28
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 09:51
This arrived today and it is a sheet of 24 of Keith's Owain Glyndwr stamp so Toast was spot-on with his referral to yLolfa. As Toast says, it was produced in 2000 on Owain Glyndwr day 600 years to the day when he was proclaimed Prince of Wales. 'It represents a protest against the Post Office who have refused to commemorate this notable historical occasion'. The drawing is by Margaret Jones from the book, Owain Glyndwr, also available from Y Lolfa.

At £2 including p&p for the stamp sheet it's well worth it.

Edited by Daniel - 01 July 2010 at 07:18
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 09:56
Thanks Daniel for taking the plunge. I was going to contact them anyway to find out.
One question though. You seem to suggest its 1 stamp in a sheet of 24, while theiir website says 'a set'. Is that a terminological inexactitude?
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 10:19
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

Thanks Daniel for taking the plunge. I was going to contact them anyway to find out.
One question though. You seem to suggest its 1 stamp in a sheet of 24, while theiir website says 'a set'. Is that a terminological inexactitude?

Yes, it is just the one design. With postage (£1) and packing included there can't be much profit in it. One word of warning, it was posted in a large padded bag which was folded in the post but at least the sheet wasn't creased.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>