Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Revenues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Revenue Stamps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 22:02
Oh no!  Don't encourage him Daniel  Wink LOL
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 09:16
A while ago I managed to acquire my first collectible British passport but it is quite old and not at all recognisable by today's versions. It was issued in 1908 and seems to tell you more about the then Foreign Secretary, Sir Edward Grey who has duly signed the document, than it does about the person to whom it was issued, a Mr Abel Sykes and his wife Florence. It was issued on a very large single sheet of thin parchment with information on both sides. The reverse featuring various Russian revenue and franks. I've had to scan the document over 4 scans:

Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 09:17
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 09:18
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 09:19
Marj View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Marj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2013 at 22:58
What a document!  I would feel completely confident going abroad as a British citizen with that tucked into my coat pocket. It just oozes decency and quality. Those were the days!
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
jamesw View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote jamesw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 09:25
Can you explain this one to a poor ignorant Canadian? What £7 get you? A month of Corrie?

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 09:37
£7 was the annual cost for a b&w TV licence in 1971-73. It looks like that one was cancelled in 1973. Price adjusted to 2013 values, that is about £85.
Londonbus1 View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Londonbus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2015 at 07:25

Here is a Proof copy for the London Mayor's Court revenues.

Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2017 at 07:09
Here are the restored images for my 1908 one sheet British Passport signed by the then Foreign Secretary, Sir Edward Grey. He was the longest continuously serving person in that position from 1905 to 1916. He played a key diplomatic role in trying to avoid The First world War but, of course, failed.

There are some interesting Russian revenues on the reverse, shown on the last 2 scans. The last scan is shown upside down since this is how the revenue has been applied:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>