Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Events and meetings > What's going on?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Autumn Stampex, BDC,London. September 13-16.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Londonbus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autumn Stampex, BDC,London. September 13-16.
    Posted: 11 September 2017 at 20:33
Are any Cinderellastampsforum members going to Stampex this week ?
We have an Internet group meeting on Saturday if anyone is around, please come and say hello. We are 8 or 9 in the group so far so you should be able to spot us in the Cafeteria 10am-1045am and again later during lunch break around 1.30pm. There will be a London Bus key chain on the table if unsure !!

A couple or more hardy souls will getting up before daybreak to meet at the Charing Cross Collectors Market 7am-7.30am if there is any interest.

In any case, Happy Collecting to all.

Londonbus1

Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 23:15
Originally posted by Londonbus1 Londonbus1 wrote:

Are any Cinderellastampsforum members going to Stampex this week ?
We have an Internet group meeting on Saturday if anyone is around, please come and say hello. We are 8 or 9 in the group so far so you should be able to spot us in the Cafeteria 10am-1045am and again later during lunch break around 1.30pm. There will be a London Bus key chain on the table if unsure !!

A couple or more hardy souls will getting up before daybreak to meet at the Charing Cross Collectors Market 7am-7.30am if there is any interest.

In any case, Happy Collecting to all.

Londonbus1

I was in London yesterday - though not at 7am - and I searched everywhere and even asked a few locals and no-one seemed to know if there WAS a collectors' market, let alone where it might be. 

I suppose I would have been there around 10am.  

Is it at the Embankment end or the park, or under the railway arches?  And does it finish before us mortals have had time to get in from the provinces?
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 00:18
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

I was in London yesterday - though not at 7am - and I searched everywhere and even asked a few locals and no-one seemed to know if there WAS a collectors' market, let alone where it might be. 

I suppose I would have been there around 10am.  

Is it at the Embankment end or the park, or under the railway arches?  And does it finish before us mortals have had time to get in from the provinces?

I finally found it a couple of weeks back. It is in an underground car park and the entrance is in between Costa Coffee and Starbucks. If you take the Villiers Street exit from Embankment station it is just across the road to the left of Starbucks but it is only open on Saturdays from 7.30 am-3 pm, there is normally a sign outside. Here is the website showing a couple of photos:

http://www.charingcrossmarket.com/location/
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 01:56
Thanks Daniel

I walked right past that, time and time again - and actually asked behind the counter at Costa's!  Perhaps they get fed up with people asking?

Was it worth going?

Hiromi View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hiromi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 02:00

- and actually asked behind the counter at Costa's!  Perhaps they get fed up with people asking?

You may have transgressed the backpacker's rule of quid per quo.  

Did you buy a coffee?  You'll get far more help in London if you buy something rather than using a waitress as a tourist guide.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 02:04
You might be right, but I'll know next time and will make sure I visit Costa's again to tell them where the collectors market is. 

Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2017 at 03:37

Thanks Daniel

I walked right past that, time and time again - and actually asked behind the counter at Costa's!  Perhaps they get fed up with people asking?

Was it worth going?

It is a mixed fair selling coins, medals/militaria and banknotes as well as stamps and I do collect some coins and banknotes. However, when I mentioned Cinderellas I was met with blank looks. If you are prepared to search through a lot of postage stamps you will find some Cinderellas mixed in. I guess it is just the luck of the draw. I know that Londonbus has had some luck in the past and I wonder how he got on with his pre-Stampex visit.

Afterwards, I went to the Cameo Stamp Centre (which consists of several dealers) on The Strand and had more luck there with Cinderellas.
Londonbus1 View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Londonbus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2017 at 02:32
I picked up some great items from the market when I was there 10 days ago. Always some bargains to be had, and always ready to haggle !!

Love it. Costa coffee is good too !!
 Post Reply Post Reply