Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catalonia's cinderellas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 02:52
Originally posted by cursus cursus wrote:

The 1914 printers' strike cinderella sheet, was printed at Oliva de Vilanova Printing Works in Barcelona. The iddle printing Machine was designed by the owner of the works. Originated on the coastal town of Vilanova i la Geltrú (60 South of Barcelona) on late XIX century, it was later transfered to Barcelona, where it become quite successful, doing a lot of artistical printing, including a lot of Barcelona City Council local revenue stamps and cinderellas. They closed on the early years of the 1980 dècade.

That's a great set with an very interesting story. When I looked see if it was available to buy anywhere, I found them on delcampe but, as is sadly so common these days, they were being sold individually and on an auction basis. I had a little more luck on ebay where I found a couple of strips of five and purchased one of those, including the Iddle printing press stamp. 

I also found a nice set of miniature sheets of 3 Cinderellas for Expo Figueras 1960 and designed by Salvador Dali.

Finally, I recently purchased a fantasy banknote for Catalonia featuring Dali and Gaudi!

cursus View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote cursus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 03:59

In 1907, there was a Catalonia's General Exhibition, held at Vilanova i la Geltrú. Cinderella, printed at Oliva de Vilanova's Works from a drawing by Joan Llaverias.

All this information, and more to come, are from the most interesting book "Barcelona, Art i Aventura del Llibre" (Barcelona, Book's Art and Adventure) by Santi Barjau & Víctor OLiva, printed in 2002 by Barcelona City Council. I only know the Catalan version.

cursus View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote cursus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 19:47
Montserrat, meaning "Sawed Mountain" in Catalan, is a very distinctive isolated mountain located right in the middle of Catalonia, about 40 km SW of Barcelona. Since 881 A.D. it has been the site of a Benedictine Monastery (la Abadia de Montserrat), that holds the shrine of the Virgin of Montserrat, a Romanic black virgin patroness of Catalonia. The mountain and its monastery are both an spiritual, cultural and patriotic reference for Catalans. Also, geographic, as it's easily identified when you're travelling (or trekking) in our country.
Even Richard Wagner placed there the Holy Graal hidding place on this opera "Parsifal". True, in 1941 Goebbels came here to try to find the Graal...
In 1947, after he trauma of the civil war, Catalans gathered to place a new crown on the Virgin's image. It was both a religious and patriotic event, of great significance at that time.
As it was normal by then, there was a cinderella issue to rise founds.
I've carried on a little search on them, as not much information is available.
There are 13 wood engraving cinderellas. The printer was "Oliva de Vilanova", the Barcelona's printer that did also most of Barcelona city council stamps. They were the work two engravers: Antoni Ollé I Pinell (Barcelona, 1897-1981) and another one that signs "C" and that, so far, I've not been able to identify.
The cinderellas show:
Saint Benedictus (Nursia, Germany, 480 - Montecassino, Italy, 547). Founder of the Western Monacate, and Patron of Europe. Montserrat monastery belongs to the Benedictine order.
Abbot Oliba (?, Catalonia, 971 - Cuixà, Catalonia, 1046) one of Catalonia's fathers and founder of the Montserrat Monastery.
Saint Francis of Assisi (Assisi, Italy, 1196 - 1226), Saint Ignatius of Loiola (Azpeitia, Basque Country, 1491 - Rome, 1556), Saint Joseph of Calassanç (Peralta de la Sal, Spain - Rome, 1648)& Saint Antoni Maria Claret (Sallent, Catalonia, 1807 - Fontfreda, France, 1870). Both, are said to have "mystical experiences" on the mountain.
Josep Torras I Bages (Cabanyes, Catalonia, 1846 - Vic, Catalonia, 1916). Bishop of Vic and religious writter, that was very fond od Montserrat.
Mossén Jacint Verdaguer (Folgueroles, Catalonia, 1845 - Sarrià, Catalonia, 1902). Priest and the most important Catalan poet, that wrote Montserrat hymn, the Virolai.
The Virgin of Montserrat image in two sizes. A big. bicolour one and another, smaller in one ink.
A view of the mountain, a rock with some climbers and one of the many hermits that are on the mountain.
All cinderella were issued perforated, but imperforate also exist.
Text is in Latin. As Catalan language was prohibited by Franco's fascist regime, and they didn't want to use the compulsory Spanish language; they preferred to use Latin, by then the official Catholic Church language, that not even Franco dared to ban.
All but the Virgin small cinderella, have printed on the back the apportation: 0.50 pta for the Virgin cinderella and 0.25 pta for the others. In nowadays money, 0.5 pta should be about 1.20 € (1.6 US$).
Sorry for the, too long, explanation.
cursus View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote cursus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 19:49
Click to enlarge
cursus View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote cursus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 19:51
cursus View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote cursus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 19:55
Click to enlarge
cursus View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote cursus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 19:57
Click to enlarge
cursus View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote cursus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 19:59
Note: the size of the 1st, 2nd and 4th cinderellas of the last post is the same as the above ones.
cursus View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote cursus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2017 at 20:01
cursus View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote cursus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 19:42

In May/june 1952 it was held in Barcelona the 25th International Eucharistic Congress. Used by Franco's regime to cleanse its bad (well deserved) international image. The undergroung Catalanist opposition, took also advantage to show the world, that Catalonia was still alive. For example a gigant Catalan flag was flown from the hills backing Barcelona, at the very moment went a big mass, attended by Franco himself, was being celebrated at Barcelona's main avenue.
To support this event a minisheet with four cinderellas well designed and printed (by the printer Oliva de Vilanova, responsible also for the Barcelona's local stamps)and two sepparate ones. The donative for the sheet was of 15 pta (today, 40 €) and for the two items, 0.5 pta (today 1 €) and 1 pta, corrected to 0.25 pta.

Just to give you and idea of the real cost: on the same years the people of Barcelona staged a two weeks strike of no taking the tram (by then, the most popular públic transport), the first strike under the fascist dictatorship, to protest for a rise of just 15 cents (0.15/186 €) on the tram faré. No wonder, these cinderellas sold very badly and you're still able to buy them quite cheap. But, the quality is good.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>