Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KEMP LAND stamps.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 16:42
An "official issuing policy"?  That's one you would have to ask Matthew about.  But I think he just does stamps on a whim.

In the issue of the KL newsletter "Mould Cloud" (shown earlier), you can see his announcement of the planned issues for this year.  So far, only the Wannsee set has appeared, and I am still reeling with the flak from that!  I doubt there will be the same stormblasts with the fungi set. Wink
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2017 at 15:48
Let’s look at some more of Kemp Land’s amusing and often controversial stamps.

Kemp Land 2004 Modern Art set.

This set features nude paintings by the Auckland artist John Winton Burke, who Bruce met and recommended the paintings set to Matthew.  As Matthew is a connoisseur of art, he was delighted with the issue, and a supply of each stamp was presented to the artist to hand out like business cards to his fans.

Kemp Land 2009 300th anniversary of the invention of the piano.

Bartolomeo Cristofori di Francesco (1655 – 1731) was an Italian maker of musical instruments, generally regarded as the inventor of the piano.  This seemed an important event to celebrate with a stamp issue. I remain amazed that few other lands bothered to celebrate such a momentous anniversary!

Kemp Land 2002 Antarctic Feline Club.

This was the usual set of four values (the $3 was shown earlier in this thread) and is notable for being completely sold out in the month of issue!  I offered them on both Ebay and Trademe at the time of issue, and seriously underestimated the demand. My cats who modelled for the stamps were rewarded with cans of exotic food as their royalty.

Kemp Land 2007 700th anniversary of the betrayal of the Knights Templar.

This stamp was an omnibus by the KDPN, and when agreeing to participate in the omnibus, Matthew requested his unique version of the text at the foot.  

Kemp Land 2007 Knights Templar sheet.

Kemp Land 2010 Revolutionary Heroes set.

Matthew (a keen collector of Germany) was anxious to have Von Stauffenberg, architect of the plot to overthrow Hitler in 1944, featured on a stamp, which prompted this set.  The ornate borders on this set were a new development, and made this issue an attractive set.

Kemp Land 2000 Year of the Dragon.

The Year of the Dragon stamp shows a photo of one of the Great Philatelists of the World, Matthew, holding a Yemen cover from his collection.  The 30c stamp at the left is the “normal” version, with the small “dragon” logo to the left of Matthew’s head facing left.  A very small number of stamps had the error with the dragon logo facing right (right stamp.)

Kemp Land 2000 Antarctic dogs – good friends.

The year 2000 saw a lot of full-colour stamps for Kemp Land as I was doing the multimedia training course that year so printed the stamps off by day at school, then perfed them when I got home that night.  I submitted the stamps as work done for the course, which surprised my tutors!

Now let’s look at some more of the early typography issues, before the year 2000:

Kemp Land 1997 20th anniversary of the All-Antarctic Federation of Philatelists. SQ 117 – 120.

This set of four was printed on white gloss art paper with Adana 8x5 press, while the 45c was a mass edition done on thick matt paper with Heidelberg platen press.  Matthew sourced the illustration.  The lettering was done by computer.  The 75c is a metallic silver colour, which looks a lot shinier than shown here. Issue date was 22nd October 1997.

Kemp Land 1995 Framnes Mountains National Park.  SQ 91 – 92.

This set was from cartoons by Matthew.  The stamps were printed on white paper with invisible gum, with Adana press. Issue date was 13th August 1995.

Kemp Land 1998 Michael Hutchence (musician) commemoration. SQ 121.

This issue helped Kemp Land to win the “Bad Taste Award” from “Stamp Magazine” in the UK, illustrated earlier.  The design was a magazine photo, which Matthew had modified by adding the necklace and protruding tongue.  Printed on white gloss art paper with Adana press. Issue date was 14th January 1998.

Kemp Land 1990 150th anniversary of the world’s first postage stamp (the “Penny Black”). SQ 67.

What philatelist could ignore the Penny Black anniversary?  The stamp was printed on white paper with shiny gum with Adana 8x5 press. Issue date was 6th May 1990.

Kemp Land 1988 20th anniversary of Occussi-Ambeno’s independence. SQ 62.

This was the first stamp I printed for Kemp Land, and so got the country name slightly incorrect, missing out the “Democratic”.  It was one of a set of two in identical design, with the design by Geir Sor-Reime. Printed by Heidelberg platen press.

Kemp Land 1998 Matthew’s Wedding. SQ 122.

As I had no photo of the happy couple to work with, I did a special printing of the Framnes Mountains National Park (SQ 91) on white gloss paper and in a different colour, then did the overprint with gold hotfoil in Old English text.  The happy couple were delighted. Issue date was 21st February 1998.

Kemp Land 1998 Princess Diana (humanitarian) commemoration. SQ 130.

Matthew submitted the cartoon of the princess, which I added text to with computer, then printed in gold ink on glossy white art paper. Issue date was 19th July 1998.

Finally, let’s look at another of the early photocopied issues, before I began printing Kemp Land issues:

Kemp Land 1990 10th anniversary of the Security Police. SQ 72.

Matthew submitted the design to Geir in Norway, who photocopied it on red paper, then returned them all to Matthew in Australia.  He later sent them all to me for perfing and issue. The innocent-faced officer shown is possibly the same gentleman who reads all Kemp Land’s mail, then stamps it “Passed by censor.”  Clearly an important public service.  Issue date was 25th November 1990.

Kemp Land stamps continue to be issued.  If you would like any, or have any comments or suggestions for new issues, contact the Kemp Land Information Service, 115-c Essex Street, Epping, NSW 2121, Australia.

=============

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 21:29
The Kemp Land postal service covers the globe!

[centre][/centre]
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 12:01
and so it should
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 04:44
I received a bulging envelope stuffed full of stamps and background information. Much is Kemp Land with other territories included. Single stamps, Covers and miniature sheets. Its going to take me best part of an evening to sort it all out. No pics because Bruce has posted many of these already.

Many thanks Bruce
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 07:40
Here are scans of the covers, and very nicely done too.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 03:02

Kemp Land 2007 Knights Templars betrayed.

Hi folks, thought you might be interested to know that I have at long last done a new website for Matthew's small Antarctic country, the Gay Republic of Kemp Land.

(As you can see by the "ws", the website lives in Samoa. Kemp Land does not yet have its own suffix, but they are working on it.)

And you will be happy to see that it does not have ANY Hitler or Wannsee Conference stamps or mentions, so far.  But this will probably change after Matthew looks at it and asks for additions.

Also, please let me know of any buttons or links that "don't work".  Being a new site, it probably has an error or two that I should fix.  Also, tell me if you see any spelling mistakes.

cheers, Bruce.

===================
Bas S Warwick View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 21:23
3 Kemp land covers addressed to GPO Takangarika Island

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 23:14
Nice Bas
Bas S Warwick View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 23:01
For your delight and delectation here is another Kemp Land cover from 2003  addressed to the GPO Tikau, Takangarika Island

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>