Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stamps of Bruce Henderson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 03:39
I have always gone for A5 sized sheets, but for the same reasons.
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 04:46
Originally posted by Steve Steve wrote:

Bruce has responsible for a number of different bogus territories, all with a history, and all interlinked. These include Kemp Land, Mevu and Port Maria - too many to list here. But I hope to add to the collection and post finds here with explanations. But those interested should read Geir's articles.

However I was surprised to discover, after the first article, that I already had some of Bruce's stamps in my colllection. These date back to 1968 and I obtained them while they were in production. They were a true hoax isue, claiming to be a Bicycle Post run by schoolkids in a New Zealand town. Below is the full set of Timaru Cycle Post stamps.

I recently saw just three of these for sale at £50! I hope adding to a collection of Bruce's material will be a fraction of these prices.

Bruce tells me that a full set of these went for $1,500 by auction recently. Why on earth didn't I splash out on 2 or 3 sets way back then?
Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 04:55
Collectors down through the ages have always regretted not buying "more" of stamps that later shoot up in value. Confused

But the main reason why some stamps DO shoot up in value is because few people did buy them. On the other hand, most collectors I know have piles of random stamps they have bought, which will never achieve any decent re-sale.  Sic transit philatelia! Wink

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 07:48
Good fun to see the re-enactment of the post acted out in true fashion.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 21:08
Funny story behind that photo. You will notice that the Mayor and the postie are both smiling at the camera, while I am gritting my teeth and worried. We were all riding on the footpath in front of the ornate City Council palace, and the photographer was perched right on the edge of the path. So I had to avoid smiling at the camera and concentrate on not crashing into the photographer nor steering the bike into the gutter!  Hence no smile from me.

But I can smile now, as the exhibition went really well.  And the "re-enactment bike-ride" got lots of covereage in the local newspaper over 2 days, which probably helped steer visitors to the exhibition. Smile

For New Zealand's big national stamp exhibition the following year (at Palmerston North), I wrote to the organisers offering to do a similar bike-ride at the opening (and print special cinderella stamps for it), for the media.  But they responded saying no thanks, as they had already arranged with a Chinese member of parliament, Pansy Wong, to liase with the media and do all the necessary public relations.

But a week or so before that show opened, Pansy was implicated in some scandal involving her husband and some corrupt deals in China, so had to resign from parliament, so the exhibition ended up getting absolutely NO media coverage at all! Ouch

Moral of the story: If you are involved with a public show, ALWAYS have some interesting event for the media! Tongue
Bas S Warwick View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 22:25
Thanks Bruce for the Waikoa Cover and contents - greatly appreciated.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 14:07

Japhyland 2011 40th birthday of Grant, the Japhyland head honcho, on a signed FDC.  The silver text at the left of the cover is thermography, a heat-embossing process, which makes it look like cast metal.

I mentioned Japhyland stamps earlier, and here are some of the set showing Japhyland's founder.  His son runs Bijzland, which has been slightly more stampiferous. 

This set was a "surprise" birthday present for Grant: one of his friends sourced the photos, sent them to me, and I printed the stamps and FDCs in secret, and presented them to Grant at the party.  He then affixed stamps to the covers, and fetched his postmark out and cancelled them, then each guest was presented with a signed autographed cover.

I think there were ten (or maybe 12) stamps in the set, so after tearing up the sheets, each FDC got 5 random stamps affixed, as the small envelopes could not fit the full set.

Any collectors seeking these could write to the Bijzland Agency address mentioned earlier, but address it to Japhyland Information Service. I'm sure he would be amenable to trading some. Wink
Bas S Warwick View Drop Down
Recorded
Recorded

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bas S Warwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 17:24
.......here's and interesting cover from Berenku. 
(NZ Post missed postmarking the local stamps)

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 05:05
Hello, I am Bruce Henderson, philatelist, of Auckland in New Zealand.

I became a philatelist at age 9, and a printer at age 13.

Fusing these two interests meant I needed a vehicle to hang my creations on, and so dreamed up the concept of an imaginary sultanate in tropical Asia: Occussi-Ambeno.  

This land (which actually exists: atlases published before 1975 show it as a tiny enclave on the isle of Timor) was extensively promoted by my public relations mailouts in the late 1960s and 70s.  

Occussi-Ambeno began in 1968,and has issued stamps each year since.  In 2008, we celebrated our 40th anniversary of independence from Portugal, the former colonial overlord, which makes O-A among the oldest fantasy lands around.

My first fantasy land was Waikoa Island, in 1965.  It celebrated it's half-century in 2015.

As I’ve grown older, and technology has improved, I have always taken advantage of whatever is around to enhance the life and productions of my fantasy land.  For instance, I recently did a bookbinding course, and whilst there, produced passports for O-A.

When a teenager, I collected “the world”, but later, sold my collection and headed off for overseas experience.  I had a few years in amazing Australia, living in Bondi, NSW, Cairns, Far North Queensland, and Perth, WA for a while, but didn’t meet any philatelists while there (not that I was particularly looking).  After returning to NZ, I resumed philately in the 90s, and today, concentrate on the stamps of

Zanzibar, Katanga, South Kasai, Samoa, Lundy, Austria, Tuva, Bahamas, and Cayman Islands, and have managed to form great collections of all these lands.  And recently, I've started on Hungary.

When I was at high school, I was introduced to letterpress, a most wonderful print medium with which I have remained fascinated  (commonly called “typography” or “surface printing” by stamp catalogues.)  

Upon leaving school, I bought my first press, an English-made Adana 8 x 5, which I still have.  More recently, I was fortunate to be given a Heidelberg platen press: the Rolls-Royce of printing machines.

This press is fully automatic and produced most stamps of O-A and some other friendly lands for many years, until the modern digital era, when I got a laser-printer, and moved to full-colour stamps.  In 1986, I was offered an old 1896 treadle perforating machine, so bought that, making me self-sufficient in stamp production.

Today, I continue to design and print the odd few O-A stamps, but also print stamps for many other fantasy lands, as well as Cinderella issues for any clubs and people I can assist.  Like a stamp with you, your child, grandchild, or pet?  

Just email me details and photos, and I will be happy to help.  (Some mint recent commem sets of your country or minisheets are the preferred barter for such services.)

And of course, I am happy to correspond with anyone keen on the lands I collect.  Catch me on bh (at) graphic-designer . com

Some of you may have read my "biography" in the "Cinderella Philatelist" written by Geir Sor-Reime, but sadly, he condensed this article too much and missed a lot of important detail.   The full version is here as a pdf (but without the photos):
 http://www.angelfire.com/country/mevu/Geir-article-on-BRH.pdf

regards, Bruce.

Great to see that 1968 set of Timaru Bike Post locals illustrated earlier in this thread! Those stamps now fetch high prices in New Zealand dealer auctions.  Sadly I no longer have a set myself.

Panterra View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote Panterra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 05:07
I am happy to print & perforate stamps for anyone.  The gauge is perf 12.

I prefer small runs, where you want only a few dozen or a few hundred.  If you want many thousands, go to De la Rue in London.

It is best if you email me the photos you want used, and describe what values each should be and what colour frame around the edge.  If there are several in the set, they can go in a minisheet together, such as this one (which I have recently done for a client in Christchurch):

Timaru 2017 centenary of the visit of the Hospital Ship "Marama" to Timaru. Set of two stamps, laser-printed, and perf 12.

In this example, the stamp dealer who ordered these emailed me some postcards showing the views of the ship, and I then composed them into the two stamps.  Quantity done = 300.  Sold at the Timaru Stamp Fair; a few extras possibly available from Shades Stamp Shop, P.O. Box 10-122, Christchurch 8145, New Zealand, at $6 per sheet, plus postage.

Like something similar yourself?  Happy to assist!  :D

regards, Bruce.

=================

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>