Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stanley Gibbons colour guide stamps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stanley Gibbons colour guide stamps
    Posted: 25 January 2016 at 00:49
New to my collection is this half set of the Stanley Gibbons colour guide stamps. They have been soaked off the chart on which they were issued.

These date from the 1930s. SG commissioned Perkins Bacon to produce a colour key for stamps. The result was 100 identically produced stamps each with an exactly colour shade to use as a reference in conjunction with their catalogues. This is what it looked like complete

The price of 2s6d equates to somewhere between £10-20 at todays values (depending on what basis the calculation is made). not bad for 100 stamps!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Discworld readers will know the problems of naming colours from when the Auditors of Reality took human form and named themselves after colours. They soon ran out of names and started to argue over the legitimacy of 'pale avacado' for instance.
Londonbus1 View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Londonbus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 21:10

Is that chart yours Steve ?

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 21:24
No, not the full chart
Londonbus1 View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Londonbus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 22:13

I saw 3 of these during my recent trek to the UK and all had some degree of toning around the labels. But all were still priced at £68-£75 range. At least one of them had quite an odour. These were from dealers at Stampex too !!

I found quite a good one in one of those estate boxes I keep blabbering on about with only ONE tone spot next to one of the labels. All the rest was clean, even if the cover was very slightly tatty, still was much better than those I saw at Stampex.

Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 22:27
Now that does look a nice example. I think I could resist a smelly one. Not cheap are they?
Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2021 at 10:38
This is another Stanley Gibbons colour guide from 1899. This one is called A Colour Dictionary and is written by B W Warhurst. It is 48 pages long so I am only showing a few sample pages.

Scan_20201130 by Daniel, on Flickr

Daniel View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2021 at 10:40
Scan_20201130 (4) by Daniel, on Flickr

Post Reply Post Reply