Cinderella Stamps Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Cinderella Stamps > Cinderella Stamps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gerald King - Reference Materials...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2015 at 05:12
The "Curiouser and Curiouser" catalogue that Jesper illustrated above seems to be a real rarity.  Repeated searches keep turning up lists of people right around the world who would sell me one if only they had any.  I only need one for completeness as I do have Gerry's original artwork that went to the printers at the start of the litho printing process,  If any of you find one snap it up. 

The listings are different to those in the later catalogues and help to throw light on the earlier issues.  One thing it doesn't mention is colours.  Possibly because the third printing (coloured stamps on coloured and white papers) involved six colours and four papers for each stamp - so 24 varieties of EACH stamp!  You'd need a big catalogue to list them!

Keith
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 03:04
I've stumbled across a real gem of a reference list. 

Not sure of the date but it is a one-page illustrated list of the first printing of the Alice stamps and their cancellations.  It covers both Wonderland and Looking Glass Land.  Corrections have been made in Gerry's handwriting.  It is the best (and only) list I have so far to catalogue the first and second printings of Wonderland.  I've put the scan on Photobucket and, hopefully, you can find it here.  I hope you can read it.  The original is just a little smaller than A4.

Keith
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 07:57
Easier viewing of it

Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 11:04
I thought Colin said he'd beat us to death if we posted pictures directly to the Forum?

Anyway, Gerry confirms that this is, indeed, the first illustrated "catalogue". Dating from about 1966 it replaced an earlier version which was just a list. He had trouble fitting in all the pictures hence the strange format.

Keith
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 11:27
Its not a direct post. Its an image link to your Photobucket. Why you don't do that Keith I will never know, becasue its the easiest part of the whole process
JesperDK View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote JesperDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2015 at 10:44
Hi Keith,

I have the same (original) list in my collection... On top of the list someone (Gerald I believe) has written "Catalogue for the 2nd Printing Rouletted"....

I also have the (original) list for the 1st printing (smaller than A4, with no pictures, only text describing the different stamps)... and with the text "Catalogue for the 1st Printing" written on the top of the page 
(same hand writing as on the other list)... on the back of the list the following is written:
"Original Catalogue 1965, dealing with the first printings, large format, Black on coloured papers, Perf. 11 3/4"...

Best regards,
Jesper  

www.cinderellafan.com
Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2015 at 20:49
Originally posted by Keith Keith wrote:

I thought Colin said he'd beat us to death if we posted pictures directly to the Forum?
Keith

No Keith, it's a visual hobby and it goes without saying that pictures bring the forum to life. 

Post up as many links to your Photobucket account as you want to, all pictures welcome!

I began this forum as a place to discuss and share ALL cinderella stamps. It is my first forum and is not perfect BUT I will endeavour to make it the best available.

Any positive help appreciated!
Bill Porter View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill Porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 00:31
I had the pleasure to do some perforating for Gerald some number of years ago. Even better to have had several phone conversations with his as well. Nonetheless, it would appear that you have quite a wonderful resource available here, Jesper, for assisting others. Thanks for sharing!

Bill    

The Olathe Poste
P. O. Box 707
Olathe, CO 81425
USA
Keith View Drop Down
Mint
Mint

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 06:49
Originally posted by JesperDK JesperDK wrote:

Hi Keith,

I also have the (original) list for the 1st printing (smaller than A4, with no pictures, only text describing the different stamps)... and with the text "Catalogue for the 1st Printing" written on the top of the page 
(same hand writing as on the other list)... on the back of the list the following is written:
"Original Catalogue 1965, dealing with the first printings, large format, Black on coloured papers, Perf. 11 3/4"...

Best regards,
Jesper 

Any chance of a scan Jesper?  This is an important list and it'd help to see it. 

The note on the illustrated sheet must be wrong.  The 2nd printing didn't appear until late 1970.  So Gerry's catalogue which he dates to 1966 must be of the first printing.

It's odd about the perforation note.  The 1st printing was imperf.  The second was rouletted.  But I have a collection of 1st & second printings which is split into three.  The first is imperf 1st printings; the third is rouletted second printings.  In between are stamps which are quite obviously 1st printing but are perforated (somewhat roughly in places).   But I can't find my perforation gauge - grrrrrrrrr.  Can anyone else throw any light on any perforated 1st printing?

Keith
JesperDK View Drop Down
Registered
Registered

Post Options Post Options   Quote JesperDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 08:32
Catalogue for the 2nd Printing Rouletted:

Catalogue for the 2nd Printing Rouletted

www.cinderellafan.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>