FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SWISS CINDERELLAS - MUNICIPAL REVENUES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Steve View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWISS CINDERELLAS - MUNICIPAL REVENUES
    Posted: 03 June 2010 at 07:55
My favourite has to be the AARGAU stamp. For novelty value.
I'm trying to imagine the artist capturing the image of that boy posing blowing the two horns with that expression on his face.
Colin View Drop Down
Unhinged
Unhinged

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 21:54
I would have to agree with you Ambrofos - the townscape is very elegant, I very much like the way the border has that soft flowing art nouveau style yet the town is drawn with straight lines and angles - but the artist has connected the two by the wispy clouds in the sky, engraved in the same style and weight of line as the town but with the soft curves of the frame.

The typefaces follow the same way - the titles in a flowing organic typeface but the practical elements of price and currency in a harder, bolder style which complements the verticals of the towers and spires in the illustration. 

Very tastefully done and a great example of the designer, illustrator and engraver working together.  What a pity the individuals who co-operated on these tiny works of art are not recorded somewhere.

Edited by Colin - 02 June 2010 at 21:55
My Etsy shop - FarFetchedPhilately - new 'stuff' coming soon...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FarFetchedPhilately

Hilary View Drop Down
Special
Special

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hilary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 21:47
These are delicious.  And I agree about the AARAU townscape.  
With a memory full of ships, and seas, and perilous headlands, and the shining Pharos, he must apply his long sighted eyes to the petty niceties of drawing. - Robert Louis Stevenson
ambrofos View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrofos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 13:43
I like the AARAU - the one with the great town scene best.   Which one is your favorite?
AMB
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 03:29
I think they are very nice. The art work and colours are very appealing to one's eye. 
ambrofos View Drop Down
First Class
First Class

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrofos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 06:14

Switzerland has had a long record of innovation in stamp design and printing.   The Basel Dove and the Zurich and Geneva Locals being the first exemplars of their kind in multicolored printing and duplex design.  The Swiss have continued this tradition in both their definitives and most especially in their municipal revenue stamps.   Some Favorites of mine are shown below.   What do you think?

AARAU

AARGAU

LOCARNO

LUGANO

SOLOTHURN

Edited by ambrofos - 30 May 2010 at 09:15
AMB
 Post Reply Post Reply